Physics Question

You are making a fundamental error. In the normal everyday universe gravity may or may not move at light speed. As long as everything else obeys the laws of the universe I'll accept that.

However, you seem quite able to accept that the mass of the sun can instantly disappear from the universe. It is an impossible and preposterous notion that that is so - so don't be surprised if the correct answer to the question is just as impossible and preposterous.

Gravity cannot be separated from the mass that created it, ergo, if the mass disappears instantly then so must the gravity. Okay it is impossible in the real universe - but so is the question.

Sponsored Links
You are making a fundamental error. In the normal everyday universe gravity may or may not move at light speed. As long as everything else obeys the laws of the universe I'll accept that.

However, you seem quite able to accept that the mass of the sun can instantly disappear from the universe. It is an impossible and preposterous notion that that is so - so don't be surprised if the correct answer to the question is just as impossible and preposterous.

Gravity cannot be separated from the mass that created it, ergo, if the mass disappears instantly then so must the gravity. Okay it is impossible in the real universe - but so is the question.

You keep on making the same stupid mistake of taking the question absolutely literally.

I do not seem quite able to accept the mass of the sun can instantly disappear, as stated before, this was given to get people thinking about the speed of gravity. I KNOPW it is impossible, as does everyone reading the question, they understood what the question is really about.

The question is how quickly changes in gravity take effect. And as shown the current thinking as predicted by the general theory of relativity and observations within our Universe, gravirty "travels" at lightspeed. SHOULD there be a sudden change in the gravitational distortion caused by the Sun, we on the Earth would register it approx 8 1/2 minutes later.

You keep on making the same stupid mistake of taking the question absolutely literally.

I do not seem quite able to accept the mass of the sun can instantly disappear, as stated before, this was given to get people thinking about the speed of gravity. I KNOPW it is impossible, as does everyone reading the question, they understood what the question is really about.

The question is how quickly changes in gravity take effect. And as shown the current thinking as predicted by the general theory of relativity and observations within our Universe, gravirty "travels" at lightspeed. SHOULD there be a sudden change in the gravitational distortion caused by the Sun, we on the Earth would register it approx 8 1/2 minutes later.

Don't be stupid Uri. If you were to ask, "What is the speed of gravity" - then that is one question.

Asking, "what would happen if the sun left the universe instantly" is a totally different question.

The answer to both questions is totally different as one is possible and one is impossible.

If you can't accept the answer then don't ask the fookin question.

Geddit yet?:rolleyes:

Geddit yet?

The Sun disappearing is about the effect of GRAVITY. Forget the Sun disappearing, have the Sun's distortion on gravity shrink to half its size, or double its size.

The question is how long until we recieve the gravitational effects.

Geddit yet?

Everyone else does.

Sponsored Links
...and it's still instantly because you can't have gravity without mass. ;)

The question is how long until we recieve the gravitational effects.

Put this at the start of the thread then FFS. :rolleyes:

It was FFS

Everyone else got the question. And if the Sun doubles or halves it gravitational effect? There is still mass, so what then? Instantly or speed of light?

You can FFS and Geddit yet all you like but you are just being stupidly difficult when plenty of other people took the question as it was meant and put forward more convincing arguments either way than your "I used my brain I must be right" rationale.

I answered your fookin question and got it right. Gedditt yet? Take away the mass you take away the gravity. Take half the mass and you'll take half the gravity. Simples. FFS. :rolleyes:

If you think I'm wrong then give me an example of gravity without mass. (he won't) :rolleyes:

If you halve the mass you halve the gravity, yes Joe, well done, no argument there. But how long before the effect reaches us?

And again Joe, the question is about changes in GRAVITY, when will for example a sudden cvhange in gravity by the Sun as an example, not a real world event, effect us. Substitute the Sun, the Earth, the distance, any changes in mass you want, how long would a change take?

But your question is a question that impossible in our universe. The Law of Cause and Effect then insists that the resultant answer will also be impossible in our universe.

You can't have a possible event in response to an impossible event.

If you think you can - then give me an example. (he won't). :rolleyes:

An impossible question must have an impossible answer. Gedditt yet?

The laws of mathematics and physics say that must be so.

An impossible question must have an impossible answer. Gedditt yet?

The question is about changes in gravity which CAN happen. Geddit yet?

How soon will a change in gravity effect a neighbouring body? Not an impossible question.

And the answers have been provided. Gravity travels at the speed of light.

Given that the theory of relativity predicts gravity travels at lightspeed also that observations within space seem to support this.

Change the suns gravitational effect on space, how soon would we know about it after the event?

Answer that? To use another idiotic Joeism (he won't!) Geddit yet FFS.

Sponsored Links
Back