Pilot on gas fire

I have no gas qualifications, and no gas experience, but I know the basics of combustion, which you don't appear to have any understanding of. Even I know what the black sooting is - it's obvious. Quite honestly it beggars belief that someone who is qualified to work on gas in any way doesn't understand this.

I am quite rightly not allowed to work on gas, but you are. This is not at all reassuring!

Sponsored Links
I hold CEN1, HTR1, WAT1, CKR1. I also hold CCN1, CMA1, MET1, MET4, REGT1 and TPCP1A.

I dont open up appliances, I dont get to poke around in them. My remit is a visual check only, and i know sometimes that its just not good enough. The worst I see whilst I work is, spillage, escapes, inadequete ventilation. That said it doenst happen that often and I dont get to see much in the way of fault finding.

Sponsored Links
With respect BGSM, perhaps you could look up the cause of sooting rather than just ask? With your many elements, you will have had to look up a lot of info at an accessment centre so this should be easy. I'm not having a go here, just merely explaining it may be better to find it out for yourself before you make any more mis-guided comments on an open forum. :rolleyes:

With respect BGSM, perhaps you could look up the cause of sooting rather than just ask? With your many elements, you will have had to look up a lot of info at an accessment centre so this should be easy. I'm not having a go here, just merely explaining it may be better to find it out for yourself before you make any more mis-guided comments on an open forum. :rolleyes:

I have been doing since making a TW@ of myself.

http://www.midit.dtu.dk/upload/institutter/kt/chec/pdf/soot_formation.pdf

Your not a tw@.

You were just acting tw@ish.

As I mentioned, you need to be 100% correct, with a username like that, or people are going to give you hell.

Go back to basics, and ask yourself, 'whats missing from the complete combustion equation'?

A clue, would be to consider what you do during a routine service, that would make that equation better again...

Short answer; Soot is mostly Carbon

*prepares for the enslaught*

also ask what do you do when you see a pilot light which is vitated
hope spelt that right :?:

Vitiated....

He knows what he's talking about, but it just needs fine-tuning.

Kudos to him for his original post, asking what the flame picture was like, unfortunately, it just went wrong from there... Courtesy of us lot, none the less.

One best ways of learning and never forgeting is to have the pish ripped right into you as it will always stick in your mind.
You wont make this mistake again so you have learned something that will stick with you for rest of your days.
Also if yo do get into an online argument you have the facilty to check what you think before digging a big hole for yourself.

is he in the cc yet
as i would prefare to tel him their than here
as not good when genral public see thing`s like this

I'd love to see the next time a similar scenario is thrust upon him...

"what is that black stuff anyway, Jack?"
"SOOT. OR CARBON. NOT CO2."

haha!

All this started by someone asking about a Cannon Misermatic pilot :eek:
Still it enabled a lot of point scoring and ego inflation, if nothing else. :D
Love this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back