Planning Kitchen Wall Electrics - Is This Good? [PIC]

OK I'm back with an updated design lol
So do you feel confident that you can truthfully and legitimately sign this:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

?

I've been told by my gasman that a gas hob will require a socket (for protection as well as ignition)
If that hob is sold in other countries, where fused plugs are not available, I wonder how it is connected up there?

Also the bottom right socket is technically a spur off a spur, correct?
No.

Sponsored Links
If that hob is sold in other countries, where fused plugs are not available, I wonder how it is connected up there?

Let me guess. It will be a non fused plug into a socket protected by a 16 amp MCB and possibly have RCD protection somewhere as well.

Sounds about right.

If hobs here have to have a 3A fuse to stop them exploding, why don't the same hobs there?

Sponsored Links
Are they different because we need 3A fuse protection to stop appliances from exploding?

If we do, why don't other countries?

If we don't, why do the people who write the regulations insist on making people do things which are unnecessary?

Let me guess. It will be a non fused plug into a socket protected by a 16 amp MCB and possibly have RCD protection somewhere as well.
If the circuit was designed and implemented correctly (which my experience is usually the case) it will be a dedicated radial with a single 16A socket and 6A MCB or 5A fuse.

Yes, that may well be true and may be needed in the future.

However, any time both legs of the ring are in the same place, then a ring is, itself, pointless.
If what you say is wanted, use 4mm² for the spur from the position where it stops actually being a ring.

Plus, of course, other places where it is all that is required.

upload_2017-6-14_15-8-54.png

I didn't get to cut those chases yet, because there's always an obstruction :(

BTW the above pic would involve buying a roll of 4mm cable just for 3 meters when I already got 6mm and 2.5mm on hand.

So I cut out a bit of the ceiling to find this:

2ycVSti.jpg

0UDGrih.jpg

gu0axFs.jpg

Massive pieces of wood in the way. Anyone got any ideas of the best way around this? Notches? For the record it is a terraced house.

Thanks.

Yes, that may well be true and may be needed in the future.

However, any time both legs of the ring are in the same place, then a ring is, itself, pointless.
If what you say is wanted, use 4mm² for the spur from the position where it stops actually being a ring.

Plus, of course, other places where it is all that is required.

View attachment 120974

Well, as a diy effort good luck with the 4mm plus 2x 2.5mm into a single socket at the ceiling ! (n)

DS

BTW the above pic would involve buying a roll of 4mm cable just for 3 meters when I already got 6mm and 2.5mm on hand.
When advising what may be the best way of doing something, I don't normally check to find out what the posters have already bought.

Massive pieces of wood in the way. Anyone got any ideas of the best way around this? Notches? For the record it is a terraced house.
They don't appear to be in the way.
They appear sufficiently recessed to just clip the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back