Planning Kitchen Wall Electrics - Is This Good? [PIC]

Sponsored Links
What marvellous sets of definitions and guidelines.

Can someone please help me to understand, with this radial circuit (all the accessories are sockets), how many sockets are connected directly in the circuit, how many unfused spurs there are, and how many sockets on unfused spurs there are in total.

screenshot_1300.jpg

In the 14th Edition, it was a numbered regulation:
A38: For ring final sub-circuits complying with A30-33, the total number of spurs shall not exceed the total number of socket outlets and stationary appliances connected directly in the ring.
The definition of "Spur" in the 14th Edition is defined as "a branch cable connected to a ring circuit."
(So presumably that must have included both fused and unfused spurs).
That does not specify only one spur per point.

In the 15th Edition, it was moved to the Appendices:
Appendix 5: The total number of fused spurs is unlimited, but the number of non-fused spurs does not exceed the total number of socket outlets and items of stationary equipment connected directly in the circuit.
The definition of "Spur" in the 15th Edition is defined as "a branch cable connected to a ring or radial final circuit."

In the 16th Edition, it was moved to the Appendices of the OSG:
OSG Appendix 8: The total number of fused spurs is unlimited, but the number of non-fused spurs does not exceed the total number of socket outlets and items of stationary equipment connected directly in the circuit.
The definition of "Spur" in the 16th Edition is "a branch from a ring final circuit".
The OSG is irrelevant.

16th Edition AMD 2: 2004:
OSG Appendix 8: The total number of fused spurs is unlimited, but the number of non-fused spurs should not exceed the total number of socket outlets and items of stationary equipment connected directly in the circuit.
The definition of "Spur" in the 16th AMD is unchanged from the 16th.
The OSG is irrelevant.

17th Edition 2001 AMD 1:
OSG Appendix H: The total number of fused spurs is unlimited, but the number of non-fused spurs should not exceed the total number of socket outlets and items of stationary equipment connected directly in the circuit.
The definition of "Spur" in the 17th AMD is "a branch from a ring or radial final circuit".
The OSG is irrelevant.

Thank you for the information. :)

When it gets to the stage of being satisfactory (by better balance), would my spur also be acceptable?
Good question, I think that's the core of our debate.
I'm contending that keeping it ring like will gravitate all loads towards the centre of the ring, so given any arbitrary cable routing and sockets, the true ring will always be better distributed than a with with paralleled sections. Although you have to of course watch the loop impedence at the farthest point.
However we need Johnw2 to really get into the maths!

PS thanks secure spark for digging out the regs. So we can spur as much as we like from one point of the ring as long as it's only single accessories on the end? But we should be aware of ring balancing issues and avoid doing it close to the cu.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's a good idea. Not really any point since the demise of 3036 fuses.

I'm contending that keeping it ring like will gravitate all loads towards the centre of the ring, so given any arbitrary cable routing and sockets, the true ring will always be better distributed than a with with paralleled sections.
Yes, but not always the case - but you have to work it out.

Although you have to of course watch the loop impedence at the farthest point.
However we need Johnw2 to really get into the maths!
He has done it before (can't remember the numbers), and the ring was much more tolerant than you would at first think.

PS thanks secure spark for digging out the regs.
Yes.

So we can spur as much as we like from one point of the ring as long as it's only single accessories on the end?
Yes,

But we should be aware of ring balancing issues and avoid doing it close to the cu.
Yes, but as with John's calculation - a lot nearer than you would first think. Not 49:1 though. :)

Gas is caveman compared to induction, and the sooner it goes away the better
I can see pros and cons - but I'd go for an induction hob these days. Also, speaking as a landlord, an electric hob is one less gas appliance to pay for testing every year - not to mention that with electric, I can legally change it myself if needed; while with gas, I have to pay someone else to do it (and work to their availability).
Until a power cut :rolleyes:
Yeah, but we don't get many of those ... yet.

Depends what you mean by "point"...

A40: ..........Not more than two socket outlets, or one twin socket outlet, or one stationary appliance, shall be fed from each non-fused spur.

Last edited:
A40: ..........Not more than two socket outlets, or one twin socket outlet, or one stationary appliance, shall be fed from each non-fused spur.
Yes, that's one point per spur, but not one spur per point.
I.e. if you do a garage conversion and want 3 double sockets, you could take 3 cables from a jb on the ring nearby and connect one to each socket.

The OSG is irrelevant.

I hear what you're saying. There is stuff in the OSG that is not backed up in the margins by a regulation number.

But does that mean you can ignore the advice?

Surely if that were the case, the OSG would not include that information?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back