Plug is stuck in socket

vw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kettle plug is stuck in socket. Could you please tell me how to get it out without damaging the socket? Many thanks in advances.

Sponsored Links
Plugs don't normally get stuck in sockets! It can be an indication that there has been a problem causing the plug and socket to get hot and melt hence if this is the case it will be a good idea to replace both the plug and socket anyway.

Switch off the mains to the socket.

Test that the socket is dead

Cut wire to the plug from the kettle and replace the socket face.

Put new plug on kettle

Edit:
just thought, you wont be able to remove the socket face with the plug in so some percussive maintenace may be required, if you get my drift ;)

Read all the following and if you are not sure you can do it call an electrician . .

1. Turn off appropriate MCB/pull fuse.

2. Check socket is now dead (no power)

3. Remove socket from wall and disconnect cables (taking note of which came from which terminal) - If you have a choc block big enough use for the wires while you have the socket off. Note if you have an ELCB and you touch the neutral it might trip the ELCB.

4. Take screws out of the back of the socket (i.e. take it apart) taking car of where all the bits come from (hold it face-plate up as you take it apart.

5. You may then be able to prise the copper clip off the kettle plug - if fused together (i.e. welded) you won't be able to.

6 . If successful reverse sequence. If not go out and buy a replacement socket and plug for the kettle.

Likely you will need to do 6 anyway.

Sponsored Links
yes but as I added to my post, you can't remove the socket until the plug is removed.
Therefore requiring some percussive maintainence.

ALWAYS CHECK FOR DEAD!!!!!

It's also hard to test for dead without taking plug out.

EDIT: Silly me, the kettle end usually unplugs!

(Sounds like a job for the Dremel)

1. Turn off appropriate MCB/pull fuse.

Better to switch of all power at main switch on Consumer unit/fuse box especially if you have no reliable means to test that the socket is dead.

NB A neon screwdriver is not a relaible means for testing!!

yes as above the safest thing to do is turn off consumer main switch , as breakers / mcbs are not always corrected labelled , prise out and replace plug / or complete lead and replace socket mate

Does the kettle still work? If so why the hell are you unplugging it!!!

Fill it, wait to boil nice cup o tea :!:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Alternatively be safe folllow previous advice.

Lets hear it for percusive maintenance!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back