Plug stuck in socket

I expect fair wear and tear in my properties and I expect my tenants to be safe.

At the end of the arguement a damaged socket is just that and should not be the responsibility of the tenant. If this sort of thing became a regular occurrance my views would change but to date I've been lucky with my tenants and I think looking after them and the property helps with that relationship.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know what this landlord expects really.

No doubt your kettle is very average, you bought it from a shop, and it came with a moulded plug already fitted onto it.

Correcto?

And you plugged this ordinary kettle into one of his sockets.

What else are you supposed to do? Why does he want to start blaming appliances? Is just one of those things, and you have done the responsible thing and reported it.

Some people just shouldn't be landlords.

Problem is, the electrician is working for your landlord.
The electrician would have to be a right git to blame the tenant.

Chances are even if he can prise the the plug and socket apart no one is going to make a positive diagnosis that the kettle is at fault, and the tenant should never have bought a kettle and plugged it into the landlord's socket.

You never know, the electrician may be human.

Sponsored Links
The make is George Home and it says 2550-3000W. The plug is moulded.
Quite a powerful kettle then.
Todays job extension lead plug stuck in socket, so much force to get it out cracked in two and pin snapped
Just 2 .5 kw going through it, heater used for two weeks only, up till then all was fine.
Again combination of cheap plug and socket.
Heater hired and pat tested, so whos to blame? Heater was just doing its job butultimately was the cause of the issue.

I had the same problem with an MK socket.
I've had by far and away more faults with MK sockets than all other makes put together, however there are possibly more MK sockets in use than all the others put together.
Personally I've never found MK products to be any better than any other 'good quality' make.

Personally I've never found MK products to be any better than any other 'good quality' make.
I don’t doubt it but for *£37 I would have expected some sort of quality. *I didn’t pay £37 for the originals as I fitted them about 20 years ago, that’s what I paid for the replacement. Do they have the same innards as the MK plastic sockets?

0701D0E4-89B0-4C72-833F-306F73755943.png

I don't think you have read the thread.
Eh? What will be in it for the electrician to say it’s the socket that’s at fault to the landlord who will undoubtedly be his employer. If the OP had engaged an electrician, maybe they could get the electrician to say the socket was faulty. No skin off his nose.

The electrician may just be a contractor who has not done any work for the landlord before, (think yellow pages), because the landlord won't have a spark on his books as it costs money. If so then the sparky doesn't need to worry about being honest to the LL, in fact a good spark would be truthful if the socket was at fault. If he wasn't and something happened which resulted in injury, or even death, to someone he may be called to give testimony.

Eh? What will be in it for the electrician to say it’s the socket that’s at fault to the landlord who will undoubtedly be his employer. If the OP had engaged an electrician, maybe they could get the electrician to say the socket was faulty. No skin off his nose.
Who asked us to arrange an electrician to take a look or for us to remove the plug and socket ourselves. We have no experience with electrical faults and so arranged for an electrician who will be charging us of course.

I wish you were my landlord haha! Thank you for being a good one. Once the electrician has been, if he can determine the cause is the socket we will be charging for a new kettle too. We wouldn’t normally but he seems to be trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
You're right. In future I’ll read the posts properly! :rolleyes:

C739005C-7945-428A-96CF-CCDB921CE8EC.gif

Once the electrician has been, if he can determine the cause is the socket we will be charging for a new kettle too.

That is over the top. A new plug for it yes and possibly a fitting charge from the sparks but not a complete new kettle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back