Plugging computer equipment into lighting circuit

Softus said:
With walls like that, why on earth did you buy a wireless access point? :eek:

Well, I like a challenge ;)

But in fact the situation isn't that bad anyway. Phone line comes into my study at one end of the house, which is where my modem/router is located. An access point (Linksys WAP54G) there only covers about half the house. But I've set it up to repeat the signal to a second access point (the WRT54G) half way long the front of the house which then has reasonable coverage over the whole house. But I'm still not getting the signal strength and quality I would like and its this I'm trying to improve. Particularly to my TV and HiFi. Have also put third party firmware on the WRT54G, (Sveasoft Alchemy) which allows me to increase the signal strength, and this helps.

Perhaps more pertinent to this forum I am also trying Homeplug devices (which carry data over the mains cabling). This works well in places but unfortunately less well to the sockets by the TV!. See here for information on homeplug.

If I was starting now I would lay CAT5 cable to every room....

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Adam_151 said:
the signal supprisingly is pretty good in almost all of the rooms
And which router or access point are you using?

Sorry, one of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/45025 which I presume is what the OP has

Granted I'm sure there is probably much better kit out there, but regard linksys home user stuff as being among the top for that kind of grade of stuff, along with the home-user stuff from d-link, netgear, etc

I suspect you don't have much experience with comparing the products then, because IMHO the Linksys products are inferior to Netgear, and some other home products, by a very long way.

I'm surprised nobody's come up with a system for transmitting network data via fluorescent lights yet. The technology exists in some shops which have electronic shelf edge label price displays. Every light is linked and fitted with funky purple starters which transmit data via light by modulating the flickering of the lamps. Cool, no? They recycle through the data for 4,000 shelf edge labels in around 5 minutes. See here for more info.

But then theres the issue with uploading data too, which I suppose is the limiting factor here. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it does improve the signal coverage, by put the wireless access point up in the loft.

It works for me, I have coverage about full speed signal through out all of the house (4 bed house)and garden. :D

I have a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL Modem/Router, which cost £46.99 from Misco.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back