Plumber damaged boiler exterior, what do do?

Sponsored Links
Interesting that some people seem to think that it's my responsibility... bascially does that mean that when you visit customers you are not accountable for any damage you do?

You will be surprised by some of the allegation directed at us. They range from ruining carpets, furnishings etc through to getting wives/daughters pregnant ;) So it's hardly surprising we get a little defensive is it.

to getting wives/daughters pregnant ;)[/quote]

i never get the good jobs :cry:

Sponsored Links
If you we're walking down the street and pressed the button on the pedestrian crossing and it broke, would you phone up the council and volounteer to pay for it?

Fook Me :rolleyes:

Biggest mistake this guy made was not showing you/your missus the broken cover.

For £30 or so is it really worth the agro? Cancel your contract citing the damage and move on. Life is far too short.

Point of principal here more than the money for me, but I could well be a pensioner or on a low budget and that money could be a lot for someone to find.

Why are you lot assuming it 'just broke' in normal usage?? Given that it’s been used for 6 years without any problems and then suddenly on the day the worker comes to our place the thing snaps when opened… very unlikely!

And if it had, why didn’t he just come clean and tell us at the time? Carelessness or mishandling is the culprit here that caused it to break.

There’s no comparison to pressing a button on the street. A better comparison would be if you took your van in for its MOT and the mechanic broke the wing mirror off – yes your van still works, but would any of you just go on your merry way without complaining?! No, course you wouldn’t!

Some of the comments on here have made me realise that there are a lot of poor attitudes towards customers (and their property) and I will certainly be more cautious when using trades in future.

But if the van part that broke was a door handle that was designed to be pulled - would you still feel the same?

Absolutely.

Design/function has nothing to do with it.

It went in working, it should be returned to me in the same fashion.

Well if you went to court over the issue - then you would lose.

Every moving part that has ever been made will one day fail - it's just a lottery on who will be using it at the time.

If you can't accept that - then don't call people in.

Plastic is cheap and convenient, thats why its used.

But many types get brittle when it ages!

If it just happens to snap while the engineer is there does that make it any different from if it snaps with you? Its still your boiler!

Engineers are usually careful with boilers because we know that plastic parts can snap. Many snap with normal force being used!

The part broke - that's not the man's fault necessarily, but he should have dealt with it as a part that needed replacing.
Presumably Corgi Homeplan makes it hard for him, otherwise it's no skin off his nose.

I've had a few oldish flaps and covers' lugs snap off. Last one was a Worcester. The plasticisers in the material evaporate over time, so they embrittle.

There are 2 important points:

1: As the OP said, it may have been damaged when the fittter was removing or replacing the case. Sometimes, case refitting is a more time consuming and difficult job than the service. (On Baxi Ri's, they either slide on like a good 'un, or you can pi55 about for ages getting them lined up). If the hinges were on their last legs, this could have exacerbated the fatigue. Although the OP is (aparrently) constantly fiddling with the boiler, he most certainly isn't removing the case. I this case, would this be the fitters financial responsibility - arguable.

Or he could have been very clumsy, and droped the whole thing.

2: Whatever the cause, the fitter should have informed the client, either verbally or via his report sheet. By not doing so, he has removed his opportunity to put forwad his side of the story.

On the other hand, he could have tried to have reffitted it in such a way that the next time the OP fancied a fiddle, it would fall off, and, presumably, be undeniably the OP's problem ;)

The fact that he left it standing against a wall shows that he wasn't being deceptive, and he may have thought that it already broken (and maybe thought: the OP has reffitted it in such a way that the next time the boiler was serviced, it would fall off, and, presumably, be undeniably the fitters problem ;)

Those are good points!

Perhaps the OP had broken it previously and just butted the two parts together so that it was bound to fail when the engineer came!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back