Positive comments only

I'm sure it does, but that's the same as going up an 8000m mountain in 12km, then turning around and whizzing back down again. That's a 34deg climb!
I bet most people could barely crawl up that, let alone cycle!

Perhaps some clever maths bod could point out the error in my working.........

Probably means 8km of the journey was on an incline and 8km on a descent, presumably another 8km was flat.

Sponsored Links
Probably means 8km of the journey was on an incline and 8km on a descent, presumably another 8km was flat.
Exactly this.
The overall highest point is probably less than 20 metres.
In fact, just seen: highest elevation 25m and 19m.

I hit a patch of dry sand going round a corner right at the end of the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride in 2009 and came off. Boy that hurt!

42mph downhill on a pushbike is damn scary!
35mph is too, especially when you have no protective gear on
I would not go that fast down a slope on a bike. No way.

We achieve those speeds on blue runs or on generous red runs. I would not bomb it on a black. Two of us took The Black Mamba black route down last time we were in Zell am See. We did it in the afternoon when it was choppy, just to add a bit of fun to the mix.:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
World record for skiing is a whisker under 157 MPH. Though how you achieve faster than a humans terminal velocity puzzles me a bit.

World record for skiing is a whisker under 157 MPH. Though how you achieve faster than a humans terminal velocity puzzles me a bit.

That's amazing. I thought it was about a gnats knob under a ton for downhill stuff.

That's amazing. I thought it was about a gnats knob under a ton for downhill stuff.
That's the ones who expect to turn, and go over jumps as well.
The speed freaks solely focus on pointy hats, fins on their calves, no poles, and straight lines.

It's surprising just how far you do do tumble when you have a spill, especially on some of the steep stuff.

I can imagine. Props to you mate. Anything over snails pace without an engine is good for me these days.

The speed freaks solely focus on pointy hats, fins on their calves, no poles, and straight lines.

Motorheads with Finnish looking after their cattle, no Polish allowed and Charge!!! Sounds like a racist drug fest??? "And I mean that most positively folks" XXX

It's surprising just how far you do do tumble when you have a spill, especially on some of the steep stuff.

I took a tumble on a black run, far from slowing down I started speeding up! Had to use my fingers as a drag anchor.

I lay back on the piste looking at the lovely azure sky above, completely unhurt and unfazed when a fellow skiers face appeared asking in slightly german accented English if I was ok (harumpf !)

completely unhurt and unfazed
And that's the thing with snow. It's not so much the tumble that gets you, rather the long planks strapped to your feet that do the damage. My skis are a decent length and are old and heavy. My only injury (thus far) was an LCL strain to my knee, whilst thundering along at about 4mph. All my speed spills have resulted in a bruised bum or hip at best.

The worst enemy on the slopes is unexpected ice. 'Tis why I always have my skis waxed and edged when we get to the resort.

And that's the thing with snow. It's not so much the tumble that gets you, rather the long planks strapped to your feet that do the damage. My skis are a decent length and are old and heavy. My only injury (thus far) was an LCL strain to my knee, whilst thundering along at about 4mph. All my speed spills have resulted in a bruised bum or hip at best.

The worst enemy on the slopes is unexpected ice. 'Tis why I always have my skis waxed and edged when we get to the resort.

Ski boots and bindings of old could cause significant injury, thankfully the designs have changed now so some flex is allowed and ski binding will release without mangling your legs. I believe these days it's also much more common / mandatory in certain cases for helmets to be worn (Been a long time since I went skiing) seems eminently sensible to me.

Sponsored Links
Back