powermax range 155 wont fire

well thanks for all your replies,,,i think I'm gonna just get the thing taken out and replaced with a combi,,,I have a feeling the powremax could be a bottomless money pit...
That's the most sensible option IMO. Bear in mind your hot water flow rate will be lower depending on model fitted. If your powermax is flued straight through an outside wall then install should be straight forward.

Sponsored Links
well thanks for all your replies,,,i think I'm gonna just get the thing taken out and replaced with a combi,,,I have a feeling the powremax could be a bottomless money pit...

That's what most people are doing. I have 2 of these in let properties. Have had issues but they're not doing too bad.(y)

Sponsored Links
IF and that is a big if that you require a replacement gas valve, if I remember correctly they come as an upgrade kit and pipework gets altered, the kit is very expensive you would be cheaper getting a Baxi fixed price repair, think its about £200 but the gas valve is more expensive than that

I'm the first one to admit if I'm wrong but why do you think their is no aav in this horrid boiler

I have 2 of these in let properties, one is Open, and the other is Sealed. One has an AAV and a level switch and the other doesn't. I wasn't sure which was which so I had a look in the manual, and on the circuit diagram it shows "Water Level Switch" with a note against it which says "N.B. Not fitted on open vent models".

I also found this on Mike Bryant's http://www.powermax-repairs.co.uk/ :-

3) Boiler refuses to light at all, showing the red lock-out light after three failed attempts to start. Several possible reasons for this, but the most common reason in my experience so far is a blocked automatic-air vent (sealed system versions only).

I guess it is easier to lose water and require a lockout on a sealed system and that is why it is on one and not the other.

Andy

I have 2 of these in let properties, one is Open, and the other is Sealed. One has an AAV and a level switch and the other doesn't. I wasn't sure which was which so I had a look in the manual, and on the circuit diagram it shows "Water Level Switch" with a note against it which says "N.B. Not fitted on open vent models".

I also found this on Mike Bryant's http://www.powermax-repairs.co.uk/ :-

3) Boiler refuses to light at all, showing the red lock-out light after three failed attempts to start. Several possible reasons for this, but the most common reason in my experience so far is a blocked automatic-air vent (sealed system versions only).

I guess it is easier to lose water and require a lockout on a sealed system and that is why it is on one and not the other.
ask your engineer to check the aav

I don't think you have an AAV

I'm talking about the aav ,
the level switch with this being a annoying problem on this boiler going open circuit which stops ignition ( on sealed systems as you say )

Understood but I think the AAV and switch go hand in hand. Even if the OP's boiler does have an AAV, it does not have a level switch, so would light up even if the top of the store was full of air.

From the manual...

`Sealed System' models have an air separation fitting at the back of the boiler. This also houses the water level safety switch and connects the pressure relief valve and automatic air vent.

So I am sure an OV system does not have these parts at all. Switch, AAV, PRV.

From the manual...

`Sealed System' models have an air separation fitting at the back of the boiler. This also houses the water level safety switch and connects the pressure relief valve and automatic air vent.

So I am sure an OV system does not have these parts at all. Switch, AAV, PRV.
Im the first to admit if I've got it wrong (should have looked as from memory ) its got an AV not an AAV on open vented .as i thought you was saying it couldn't be vented for some reason

Last edited:
sorry to hear you inherited a powermax,not giving gas advice but had 2 of these beasts in previous homes.
even if your engineer can get it up and working he will need to set up/check set up of the replacement gas valve which is easy if he has a digital manometer which can read plus&minus,a tee piece,extra manometer tube,the makers instructions need to be read as the manometer reading is determined by the flue length.
Then other faults will be found,believe me.

Best replace it its the best advice.sorry to say.

loads of advice here,,,great response,,,i think the best thing will be to replace with combi,,,I plan to rent the place out so really want something reliable and not be tortured by tennants coz the powermax keeps playing up......

loads of advice here,,,great response,,,i think the best thing will be to replace with combi,,,I plan to rent the place out so really want something reliable and not be tortured by tennants coz the powermax keeps playing up......
Time for an Intergas!

will all depend on the flue run these boilers were specified by Architects because of their fluing abilities and were mostly situated in the middle of modern flats

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back