powermax range 155 wont fire

there is a cupboard right in the centre of the upstairs with two pipes in the ceiling what go up and out the roof so I'm guessing the boiler was in there at first,,,it is now in another cupboard and the flu goes straight out the brick wall,,,its like a double barrel inside a larger tube,,,plus theres a soil pipe in the back of the cupboard so perfect to connect the combi condensor pipe into I would imagine...

Sponsored Links
baxi main or baxi duotec??? which is best???,,,someone told me the mains are less complicated and less likely to go wrong???,,,thoughts anyone???

For the money, Main are pretty good, we use them on budget installs when customer can't stretch to a Vaillant.

well still no further forward with this,,,thought id try and get the thing fixed before doing any major surgery,,,the gas lad tried a new sparker and gasket last week,,,now this morning fitted a new gas valve and still no joy,,,says only thing it can be now is circuit board???,,,ive got a sneaky feeling we going to fit a circuit board and its still not going to work,,,ive got a feeling its going to b something very simple whats been overlooked,,,any ideas what it could be any of you gas lads???,,,are there any thermostats or something similar what could be stopping it from firing???,,,the ignition cable is sparking and just had new sparked fitted in the gas chamber,,,there is power t the gas valve,,,and also gas according to the engineer,,,baffled......

Sponsored Links
Is it plugged in and switched on?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What happened to getting a new boiler then?

Has it ever been serviced?, should imagine theres an awful lot of debris in the sump by now. Really need an experienced powermax boiler monkey.

Where do you live?

Possibly someone from here would agree to work on it.

You seen to have an engineer totally unable to diagnose faults.

You should not be paying for parts not required to fix it.

well still no further forward with this,,,thought id try and get the thing fixed before doing any major surgery,,,the gas lad tried a new sparker and gasket last week,,,now this morning fitted a new gas valve and still no joy,,,says only thing it can be now is circuit board???,,,ive got a sneaky feeling we going to fit a circuit board and its still not going to work,,,ive got a feeling its going to b something very simple whats been overlooked,,,any ideas what it could be any of you gas lads???,,,are there any thermostats or something similar what could be stopping it from firing???,,,the ignition cable is sparking and just had new sparked fitted in the gas chamber,,,there is power t the gas valve,,,and also gas according to the engineer,,,baffled......

......and does the fan really spin up like a hair drier ? <-- Serious question

i live in durham agile,,,i have a feeling the thing just needs stripping and cleaning like someone already told me on this thread,,,i bled the rads the other week when I first got the property and the water was absolutely black so i doubt its been serviced or looked after for a long long time,,,i had a simillar thing with the last property with an old chaffoteaux,,,3 gas engineers and diverter valve later still no joy and was told it was goosed,,,so took the copper gauze filter out which was totally blocked with iron oxide and spent ten minutes cleaning with a toothbrush and it fired straight up and has worked like a charm for the last few year,,,something very simple but 3 men couldn't find it,,,,,,the powermax is probably full of black gunk and blocked up,,,guess the next step is to clean the sump filter etc this week and if no joy rip the big monster out......

......and does the fan really spin up like a hair drier ? <-- Serious question

aye mate the fan spins fine,,,the boiler worked perfect for a few weeks till one morning I left the house for a few days and turned off the gas supply,,,on returning I put the hot water on to take a shower forgetting to turn the gas back on and its been on lockout ever since......

OK just asked as I've had a fan that didn't spin at all and a fan that only spun at half speed, both were faulty fans. Both (obviously) caused lockouts.
If you remove the sump to clean it out you will have breached the integrity of the combustion chamber.

these must be the worst boilers ever made,,,im pleased you told me that mate i was under the impression the sump filter was a wet part,,,like part of the water works,,,so what does the sump filter actually filter then???,,,just stuff from inside the burner chamber???

I wasn't aware there was a filter in there as I haven't been in there. I am not a heating engineer, just an owner. I have only worked on the externals and viewed the insides when my engineer was doing a service. The sump is just at the bottom of the combustion chamber and collects rust and bits of crud as the turbulators deteriorate. To be honest it shouldn't take too much troubleshooting to get it to fire but as has been said, just putting bits into it is not the way to go. I repair a lot of the programmers for these and as a result communicate with lots of owners. The majority of owners have difficulty getting an engineer prepared to get involved.

these must be the worst boilers ever made,,,im pleased you told me that mate i was under the impression the sump filter was a wet part,,,like part of the water works,,,so what does the sump filter actually filter then???,,,just stuff from inside the burner chamber???

Its a gas safety critical seal on the sump and lethal to do anything with other than theoretically muse over what a gas safety reg body may have done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back