powermax range 155 wont fire

i definately wouldn't touch anything to do with the gas myself mate,,,im pig sick of it now,,,i just thought maybe I could get it going to last the winter and replace it in the spring,,,looks like I'm going to have to get it done a lot sooner...

Sponsored Links
have you mentioned the problem with oxide to the engineer ? what lights are showing on the boiler when the boiler is faulting ?

yes mate i mentioned the black water coming from the rads to the the gas lad,,,when turning the hot water on the fan will spin and it will cycle maybe 5 or 6 times trying to fire then locks out with the red lockout light illuminating,,,i did notice a few of the valves weaping a bit after it went wrong,,,one on a towel rail ad two on the boiler itself,,,in the past when ive seen this its usually down to a blockage somewhere causing too much pressure,,,but that was on a sealed system this one is vented,,,i don't know if that makes any difference just saying......

If it doesn't light then that is down to gas and air and ignition. Whatever the state of the pipework, radiators or water it is all irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
another question for you lads,,,all my rads are piped up in 8mm copper,,,will a new 28kw combi be fine with this???

yes in operation, but make sure they are as clean as a whistle which is a tricky task on 8mm. The original installers didnt do you any favours did they?, a powermax and 8mm microbore.

no mate they didn't do me any favours,,,its hard to believe the previous owner of the house was not only a heating engineer with his own business but also a college lecturer for wannabe heating engineers,,,i mean if I went to a carpenters house id expect all his woodwork to be pristine if you know what I mean......

well still no further forward with this,,,thought id try and get the thing fixed before doing any major surgery,,,the gas lad tried a new sparker and gasket last week,,,now this morning fitted a new gas valve and still no joy,,,says only thing it can be now is circuit board???,,,ive got a sneaky feeling we going to fit a circuit board and its still not going to work,,,ive got a feeling its going to b something very simple whats been overlooked,,,any ideas what it could be any of you gas lads???,,,are there any thermostats or something similar what could be stopping it from firing???,,,the ignition cable is sparking and just had new sparked fitted in the gas chamber,,,there is power t the gas valve,,,and also gas according to the engineer,,,baffled......

That is pretty impossible for me to understand!

Did you not go to school and learn how to write in English?

But it seems that you have engaged a "parts changer" with no diagnostic skills.

All I can say is that you should not be paying for parts which do not fix the boiler.

Nor for his time when if he is unable to ever diagnose the problem.

Tony

why are you still dicking around with this and wasting time and money and sitting with no heating or HW ??????? get Baxi out on a fixed price repair it has absolutely nothing to do with the dirty water or 8mm pipes or the sump

why are you still dicking around with this and wasting time and money and sitting with no heating or HW ??????? get Baxi out on a fixed price repair it has absolutely nothing to do with the dirty water or 8mm pipes or the sump
(y)

well the reason is mate that baxi will not touch a gas appliance over 15 years old or if its a range powermax will not touch them if they're over ten years old,,,under the terms and conditions of the fixed price repair crack,,,im recovering from some surgery at the min and couldn't be chewed with changing the boiler so thought I could get it fixed for the time being until im recovered,,,ill get it replaced shortly with a combi......

Last edited:
The beast is history...

Attachments

• DSC_0222.JPG
    DSC_0222.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 140
Got there in the end lads...

Attachments

• DSC_0231.JPG
    DSC_0231.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0292.JPG
    DSC_0292.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0293.JPG
    DSC_0293.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 104

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back