Prices Rise 80%

When I was a lad during the 1963 coldest winter of recent times, I was living in a council flat with none of the luxuries of central heating or double glazing. My mum was the only grown up and breadwinner. I remember having to scrape the ice from the inside of the bedroom windows and meals comprised of basic foodstuffs. I have no memory of us suffering or complaining.....it was our way of life at that time. We just put on more clothes during the day and took a hot water bottle to bed. I wince when I read of today's doomsday predictions and the stick that politicians are getting when they suggest we should just reign in our consumption of utilities.
By all means, the government needs to provide financial assistance to those in desperate need, but I consider a few months of hardship and having to wear a thicker jumper and a pair of thermal socks is a small price to pay to continue our support of the Ukrainian struggle.

Sponsored Links
I've said this before, and of course it's cloud cuckoo land (because of greed, corruption, the desire for control/power etc) but go with me. Let's imagine there was global agreement, strictly adhered to, that the pay ratio gap thingy between the average worker and CEO could never exceed 20. All industries, all companies private and public had to comply. So in an example where the average worker earns £20k, the CEO salary would be capped at £400k. As in the total remuneration package.

People that are driven to be leaders (i.e. have leadership traits) would still strive to become senior managers, leaders and CEOs, even though they couldn't earn any more than £400k. Just because that's the most they can earn doesn't mean they would think 'ah f**k it, I'll just work on the shop floor, what's the point!' The point is they could still be earning £400k as opposed to £20k, confident that other CEOs in that sector (or any sector) weren't earning more in respect of the 20 times ratio.

We get all this guff spouted at us as to why remuneration can never be capped, the need to attract the best talent etc, but if it was genuinely capped, the best talent would still want to be the best talent.

Say footballer salaries were capped at £250k a year. All clubs, all leagues, all countries. Boys and girls that have a desire to reach the top of that profession would still have that desire, even though they couldn't earn more than £250k a year.

Now before you start replying saying 'yeah but businesses would simply offer more £££ under the table' you're entirely missing the point of my post. My point is, if these strategies were introduced and strictly adhered to by all, the best would still want to be the best.
Someone doesn't understand that this wouldn't work simply because the rich make the rules!

They approve of raising the 'energy cap' beyond most people's means, but would never countenance a wage cap...

"In a report published today (22/08/2022) by the High Pay Centre shows that the FTSE 100 CEO pay increased from £2.46m in 2020 to £3.41m in 2021.

The think tank which carried out the research with the TUC says median CEO pay is now 109 times that of the median UK full-time worker, compared to 79 times in 2020"

It's only a matter of time before pitchforks and torches are wielded in anger...

And not too soon!

but I consider a few months of hardship and having to wear a thicker jumper and a pair of thermal socks is a small price to pay to continue our support of the Ukrainian struggle
Its gonna be a bit more than that mate.

Sponsored Links
If the price of gas doubles, does it mean that the amount of gas that exists has halved compared the the amount that was previously available, or does it mean that the public are in the hands of the financial Philistines.
According to the bible the world and its resources belong to the children of god.

Someone doesn't understand
Correct, you don't understand how to read posts in the context they are offered by the poster. I'm not sure if a) you're not very bright b) English isn't your first language c) you just try to wind folk up for the fun of it or all three.

Let me try to explain this to you. I started off my post with this, read it carefully:

I've said this before, and of course it's cloud cuckoo land (because of greed, corruption, the desire for control/power etc) but go with me. Let's imagine ...

Does this suggest I'm about to type something I think is based in reality? If you're struggling with the concept of people giving a hypothetical position vs a factual position, maybe try to find a local primary school teacher who can explain the concepts to you.

You then reply with this nugget:

Someone doesn't understand that this wouldn't work simply because the rich make the rules!

It's almost laugh out loud funny cause you evidently think you're getting one over on various forum members. Little do you realise (or maybe you do if trolling) that the one who almost constantly and incorrectly conflates what folk type and mean is ... are you ready for this ... you ;)

Get jobs, get better jobs.

Use less energy

Stop buying new tops from Asos every week

Stop going on expensive holidays

Stop having a new car every 2 years

Stop getting Uber's to and from Asda

Stop having kids they can't afford to bring up

There may be more options.
Stop breathing could be an option.

When I was a lad during the 1963 coldest winter of recent times, I was living in a council flat with none of the luxuries of central heating or double glazing. My mum was the only grown up and breadwinner. I remember having to scrape the ice from the inside of the bedroom windows and meals comprised of basic foodstuffs. I have no memory of us suffering or complaining.....it was our way of life at that time. We just put on more clothes during the day and took a hot water bottle to bed. I wince when I read of today's doomsday predictions and the stick that politicians are getting when they suggest we should just reign in our consumption of utilities.
By all means, the government needs to provide financial assistance to those in desperate need, but I consider a few months of hardship and having to wear a thicker jumper and a pair of thermal socks is a small price to pay to continue our support of the Ukrainian struggle.
Did you have any heating? I'd guess a fireplace, I doubt that's an option for most of the least well off now. Plus wood and coal aren't free.

And back then life expectancy was 71 years. In part because the vicious cold killed so many of the old and young.

I'd be interested to learn what if anything the government did back then as well.

When I was a lad during the 1963 coldest winter of recent times, I was living in a council flat with none of the luxuries of central heating or double glazing. My mum was the only grown up and breadwinner. I remember having to scrape the ice from the inside of the bedroom windows and meals comprised of basic foodstuffs. I have no memory of us suffering or complaining.....it was our way of life at that time. We just put on more clothes during the day and took a hot water bottle to bed. I wince when I read of today's doomsday predictions and the stick that politicians are getting when they suggest we should just reign in our consumption of utilities. By all means, the government needs to provide financial assistance to those in desperate need, but I consider a few months of hardship and having to wear a thicker jumper and a pair of thermal socks is a small price to pay to continue our support of the Ukrainian struggle.
I'm with you re memories of growing up in decades gone by. I was a child of the 70s and I also remember ice on the inside of windows and not having the luxuries some these days seem to expect almost as a right.

However, where I disagree slightly is the reigning it in part. Sure, if we all reigned in our energy consumption the companies would still make something (the daily charge or whatever it's called that's applied even if using no energy) however if society genuinely reigned in its spending on a longer term basis, the economy would be f**ked. Thanks to the capitalist/consumerist model, if we ain't buy buy buying and spend spend spending, we'd be up the proverbial creek ...

Those frost patterns where amazing weren't they? We would fly out of bed pull the curtains back and wonder at them before making hand patterns.

And yes, we were the posh ones in the street with curtains.

And then mom would go around with the sponge and cloth wiping up all the water from every window. No mould. And so when I used to do the damp surveys in tenants homes and see all the condensation and mould all over the windows, and would simply ask "Why don't you wipe the windows" the looks, and often the abuse I'd get never ceased to amaze me.

Today everyone is entitled. Entitled to get looked after and do jack for themselves. And there's too many do-gooders supporting that concept.

The UK, via successive governments of all parties, has not had an effective or even any real energy policy for decades.

It's been short term thinking, seemingly for their own time in government, and not strategic for actual future UK needs.

Energy was too expensive to plan for and not glamorous enough for the popular vote.

Those frost patterns where amazing weren't they? We would fly out of bed pull the curtains back and wonder at them before making hand patterns.

And yes, we were the posh ones in the street with curtains.

And then mom would go around with the sponge and cloth wiping up all the water from every window. No mould. And so when I used to do the damp surveys in tenants homes and see all the condensation and mould all over the windows, and would simply ask "Why don't you wipe the windows" the looks, and often the abuse I'd get never ceased to amaze me.

Today everyone is entitled. Entitled to get looked after and do jack for themselves. And there's too many do-gooders supporting that concept.
Yep, it's amazing the amount of stick landlords get for renting out properties that have damp and/or mould. Of course, it's never anything to do with the tenants ...

Sponsored Links
Back