Pride in your city

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm 25 years old, and I have spent 11 of those years living in Greater London, and 3 living in the West End. The remaining 11 years have been split between Essex, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. I've never lived so far from London I couldn't just pop in and out when I want.

So, London is the city I know best, and the city I love. I have visited at least 15 British cities, and never really found a bad one... apart from Bradford.

But, if I were from Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, I would probably love those cities best (even though London is obviously better ;) ). Most people seem to be proud of their city for one reason or another, and will hold it dear compared to any other city.

Which makes me wonder: is it not a little counterproductive to name a "UK city of culture", "EU city of architecture" or what-have-you? When I hear that city x has been made "city of y" then I generally wonder if it was not just an arbitrary choice to try and make people invest in that city...

So, the point to my post: the other day on that Property Search programme, the short dumpy woman said something like "Glasgow is the trendiest city in the UK"... would anyone agree with her? :confused:

Sponsored Links
All the best cities are in north Yorkshire, end of argument! :D

Aqua Sulis, but probably not 'Virtute et Industria(l)' just along the Avon.
;)

Sponsored Links
empip said:
;)

Aqua Sulis is that Bath. If so yes very beautiful and trendy, don't know what the second bit means but it hasn't got any industry has it. They shut the S & D (shame shame shame) when I were a lad and now the industrial bit has got a diy store on it

AdamW

"UK city of culture",

or is this fred just a moan that Liverpool has been classed the above ..lol you soft southern shandy drinking sod ..lol :)

an yorkshire ..one word Barnsley lol

pickles said:
empip said:
;)

Aqua Sulis is that Bath. If so yes very beautiful and trendy, don't know what the second bit means but it hasn't got any industry has it. They shut the S & D (shame shame shame) when I were a lad and now the industrial bit has got a diy store on it

Bath-yes... Somerset & Dorset - Yes, they put up a parking lot !

'Virtute et Industria" Bristol
armsb.jpg

Bath - flat? be buqqered built upon several hills !
;)

Truro, the capital city of cornwall, flipping ansome me lovers, but Adam as always is dead right. whose culture? the sea is a major part of my culture. nude wrestling in a ploughed field outside oxford may be yours. :LOL:

Moz

I used to go to blackpool with the lads ( about 10 ), every year but last year we went to liverpool and it was better than B/P so we are going to liverpool again this year, we go for a weekend ( friday till sunday )

I'm afraid I have no pride whatsoever in my hometown of Grantham. The place is dull beyond belief, and very run-down and dirty. Plus, every time I mention it I get the same response from everyone - "Oh, Margaret Thatcher was born there, wasn't she?" - hardly a good accolade!

I was glad to have the opportunity to move away last year. I am having the time of my life now, here in Brighton, and I'm very happy to call it home.

Richardp said:
but Adam as always is dead right. whose culture?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Moz, your post on Liverpool did inspire this thread: y'see I first encountered the phenomena of city-love and city-envy aged 18, a first year at university. I had a girlfriend attending Aston Uni in Birmingham. After a few months there she had fallen in love with the city. Personally, I thought it was a good city but I didn't fall in love with the place.

One of her flatmates was a girl from Leeds. Every time I saw her she would lecture me on why Leeds was far better than Birmingham or London. She would always come up with a pretty silly reason like "Leeds has a shop that sells X", "Leeds has a nightclub that only costs Y". After a few attempts at logic like "Actually you can buy that sort of thing in Carnaby Street", or "Try La Scandale if you want a cheap night out", I realised it was far easier to just nod. :LOL:

Now, one evening she told me that Leeds had the best department store in the UK... a shop called "Harvey Nichols", apparently. :rolleyes: As I lived around half a mile from the London department store by the name of Harvey Nichols, and as my mum's friend from Hebden Bridge had been telling me they had opened a Leeds store, this statement made me realise something... So I asked her "Have you ever actually BEEN to London?". Her response? "No". :LOL:

The daft mare had been lecturing to me the reasons why Leeds was better than London, without ever having set foot in London! :LOL: She didn't even understand my point that she can't make a valid comparison without having visited both places.

It was then that I realised, many people will blindly believe their city is better than another city without ever having visited it! Even though they don't live in London! :eek: ;)

A reverse case of "The grass is always greener" I suppose :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back