Privatisation of Childrens care homes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is wrong with our Governments - privatising everything for a fast buck?

The report reveals that companies that own homes in the increasingly privatised sector are placing them in poorer, more disadvantaged areas, so more children are moved from their support networks. Three-quarters of homes in England are now private.

It also finds that local authorities facing increasing pressure to place children are being charged huge fees by private providers without guarantees about how money is spent. Costs sometimes exceed £200,000 a year for a single placement.

The six largest independent providers of children’s social care services made £215m profit in 2019.

Sponsored Links
laurel-and-hardy.jpg

Aren't looked after children the responsibility of the council, not the government?

Sponsored Links
So its councils choosing to do it, to save money?

Never really worked out if the sad stats around looked after children and their life outcomes are due to their pre-looked after environment being in care or both.

So its councils choosing to do it, to save money?

Never really worked out if the sad stats around looked after children and their life outcomes are due to their pre-looked after environment being in care or both.

both or either, I think.

the younger a child is adopted, the better the chance being stable
Ive known more than one adult who was brought up in a care home -my limited experience is that they cant forge stable relationships.

Im sure this is a chicken and egg

I can believe those big figures. The kids that I used to deal with came from a company that received between £90k and £130k for a 20 hour week over a 36 week academic year depending on the complexities of the student. I charged them accordingly. ;)

Except in cases where those parents are no longer fit or able to look after those children.

Sponsored Links
Back