Product recall review

We have seen tumble driers and washing machine fires for years what is wanted is not a recall, but a good product in the first place. I look at my cooker and at a set temperature the hob auto reduces heat, and if it still gets hotter it closes down, this is on a hob, are you saying they can't make a safe washing machine? I had one start to go on fire lucky I could get the top off quick. The drum bearing had failed and it set the drive belt on fire. Simple limit switch or overload could have stopped it. Not cheap rubbish but expensive rubbish.

The problem is we are willing to forgive. Firms can break all the rules and it can be publicised world wide yet people will still buy VW cars. We only have our selves to blame.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The washing machine I had the sides were steel but the top was made to double as a work top not sure what material but likely not steel. But under a wood worktop then likely it will set the work top on fire. These
Pendant-Sprinkler-head_small.jpg
are not expensive the machine already has a water supply so not rocket science to design a washing machine with safety features.

However to recall any item you need to be able to inform people that there is a recall. I remember a Kodak instant camera recall I was loathed to take it back as it was a very good camera far better than the Polaroid of the time, but they were stopping manufacturer of the film pack so had to go back. They lost a court case on patent. But I was given back the full purchase price on handing over to any camera shop. It seems the camera shops made a lot of money with the recall. But that's how it should be. If a Hotpoint machine is faulty to a point where it can cause a house to burn down you should simply take it back to shop.

So I buy say a bulb, then it is found if I change the bulb while switched on I can get an electric shock. How would you tell people these bulbs are subject to a recall? If I buy a freezer I may fill in the guarantee card but at my feet I have a load of cheap items bought from Aldi non over £5 and I simply have not bothered filling in the card. OK since my son-in-law is an Aldi manager I would think he would tell me. However I rarely shop in Aldi use Lidi in the main so how would I know if there was a recall.

The Kodak recall was like VW agreeing to give all people who had an affected car their money back if they take it into any VW agents. In fact not what they actually spent but the full retail price. And not only in USA but all countries where they were sold.

I see your point wanting cheap items. I admit I have a camera battery charger which I know is not to UK safety standard with an adaptor with no fuse. I use it in an extension lead and only while I am next to it. I feel if I want to buy cheap CE goods (China Export) then that's up to me. However if I go to a camera shop and buy stuff over the counter I expect it to comply with British regulations. And as yet I can not bought a car or washing machine mail order.

Philips recalls potentially dangerous GU10 LED lamps I only found out when reading the similar subjects list posted by ban-all-sheds on 9th Jan 2013.

The point is most of the recalls we find out because we are in the trade and some where some trade mag or shop tells us. The Wylex MCB recall required studentspark to start a thread to find out which were effected. But I looked at the MK Switch Recall thread and the link has gone, so one hopes since 2013 these have all been sent back but who knows.

PS not a clue why all text turned blue?

There's no such thing as China Export!
Maybe not, but there certainly are such things as Chinese exports :)

Given that, as I understand it, CE marking is commonly just a matter of self-declaration, is there any routine 'policing' of this, or is it only 'if something goes wrong' that there would be any realistic possibility of a false declaration being identified as such?

Kind Regards, John

In the UK, there is no routine surveillance or enforcement. There is some talk within the EU of introducing a mandatory surveillance regime.

In the UK, there is no routine surveillance or enforcement. There is some talk within the EU of introducing a mandatory surveillance regime.
As I suspected. So long as there is no surveillance/enforcement and, more to the point, so long as it is known that there is no surveillance/enforcement, it's hard to see that a CE mark can reassure the public that that manufacturers take the procedure very seriously (or, necessarily, honestly).

Kind Regards, John

The CE marking is not intended to reassure the public.
Maybe not - but just look around this forum for starters - people are always making comments about things "not being CE marked". If it's a genuine (and justifiable) CE mark, then there is no reason why the public should not derive some reassurance from it - since it indicates compliance with a number of relevant EU Directives, doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

It indicates that the responsible person has declared conformity to all the relevant EU Directives. That's not quite the same. Most of the Directives are about free movement of goods, not primarily about safety.

It indicates that the responsible person has declared conformity to all the relevant EU Directives. That's not quite the same. Most of the Directives are about free movement of goods, not primarily about safety.
True, but some are related to safety, so I still think that 'the public' have some reason to be a bit reassured by the presence of a CE mark! Again, discussions in places like this about the presence/absence of CE marks are invariably about matters of safety.

Kind Regards, John

So, the only thing we can deduce from the CE mark is - if it's not formed correctly, the item is definitely fraudulent.

There you go - correct thread, I think. Nurse!, it's time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back