Product recall review

I think we may have strayed from the product recall theme. To my mind product recall should be last resort. Testing a product on the general public then recalling to correct errors should be rare. Clearly with some thing as complex as a car then may be from time to time an error in design is found we hope a minor thing like water getting through window seal and damaging door electrics which I had with my Honda not a major problem like the fuel tank getting a hole in as I had with the Vauxhall and had already replaced it once it was only on the second leak we found there was a recall.

Be it bits of plastic in a sweet bar where clearly some item on the production line had failed, "Some of Britain's most-loved sweets including Mars, Milky Way and Snickers have been recalled over fears they may contain plastic." they give the product code and dates and until October 2016 we could still find faulty products after that time they will have exceeded their best by date so it is reasonable at that point to remove the warning.

But where a product is to be used for 10 years or more it is far too easy for one to miss the recall and in 10 years time how will anyone identify if they have one of the VW cars which should be recalled, but clearly some will always miss the net.

Sponsored Links
But where a product is to be used for 10 years or more it is far too easy for one to miss the recall and in 10 years time how will anyone identify if they have one of the VW cars which should be recalled, but clearly some will always miss the net.
That's why product registration is so important - despite what some people think, it isn't just so that they can flood one with advertising junk (and nor, as many others think, is it necessary to 'validate' a warranty) ...

... with the Hotpoint dryers, I was not really given an opportunity to 'miss the recall'. Having registered the product several years ago, I had received both e-mail and postal notifications of the problem before the issue hit the media.

Kind Regards, John

And had you sold it what then. I have never registered a second hand product maybe we should?
Interesting question (not that I ever stop using such items until they die!). Had I sold it, and nothing else had been done, I would still have got the recall notices. Depending on whether I had records of whom I had sold it to and how 'responsible' a person I was, I suppose I might pass on the notifications to the person I had sold it to.

I don't know if one can register changes of ownership (or changes of one's own address or other contact information - which is probably a more likely scenario) for these sort of items. For obvious reasons, one really ought to be able to.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The one advantage of buying online, is that you should be automatically registered with your details - Even though I was buying a Wylex board using click and collect at Wickes, they still prompted me to input my address - perhaps just in case of a manufacturer's recall etc.:D:D:D

The one advantage of buying online, is that you should be automatically registered with your details ...
Even if that's true (and I very much doubt that it always is), it does not address eric's point/question about what happens when ownership changes.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back