Progress on Brexit talks

We are currently part of the EU; we have participated in setting the EU standard and have agreed to follow it. Once we have left the EU (when and if), we can use whatever size of energy-wasting cleaners our Parliament decides.

No, that's not true. He says that if the EU standard is, for example, 500W; and the UK standard is, for example, 10kW, we can't expect our standard to be acceptable to the EU, so we can't expect to be able to freely export products to the EU that don't meet EU standards. Neither can we expect to have any control over what the EU standards are, after we have resigned. If we don't like them....

Brexit means Brexit, as somebody once said.
What a bunch of dictators the EU are, clearly the people of EU states are no longer free when they are told that they cannot have a 10kW vacuum cleaner.... I'm sure that not many would buy one but it would be nice to have that option....Crikey! they'll be telling us to ditch the Internal Combustion Engine next.......o_O

Sponsored Links
So, in your post EU utopia, it will be "What a bunch of dictators Westminster are" after they have met, debated and decided policies and then tell you what to do.
Firegrouch doesn't mind dictators with white skin and an English accent. He will begin blaming the UK's dark coloured politicians with foreign heritage next. If there aren't any to blame - he will simply explode.

So, in your post EU utopia, it will be "What a bunch of dictators Westminster are" after they have met, debated and decided policies and then tell you what to do.
I think the point here is that if we are out of the EU, democracy comes closer to home and our politicians become more accountable to the electorate. For too long, Westminster politicians have abrogated power to Brussels and hidden behind EU dictaks, claiming there's nothing they can do.
Also, failed politicians in the UK will no longer have a cushy job waiting for them in Brussels. The Kinnocks come to mind on that score, and as for that recent pic. of Blair embracing Juncker...............:sick:

Sponsored Links
But surely the difference is, we have the power to democratically remove those who introduce legislation that we, as a country don't want in favour of people who are more likely to introduce policies that we prefer.. As a member of the EU, despite the fact that we are the second largest contributor (I believe) we have ever decreasing influence in the making of EU policy and cannot remove those who make the policies.

Firegrouch doesn't mind dictators with white skin and an English accent. He will begin blaming the UK's dark coloured politicians with foreign heritage next. If there aren't any to blame - he will simply explode.
The great joy of democracy, even one as flawed as ours is that the people can if the wish remove politicians who we feel have failed us..... Thus providing a safety valve against explosions of a disgruntled majority. Do you know what a majority is John? Oh silly me, I forgot..... You're a remainer.

The great joy of democracy, even one as flawed as ours is that the people can if the wish remove politicians who we feel have failed us..... Thus providing a safety valve against explosions of a disgruntled majority. Do you know what a majority is John? Oh silly me, I forgot..... You're a remainer.
You do not know what a majority is.
We operate a first past the post system. Invariably, a minority elect politicians.

I'm curious.. If spain, portugal or greece served an article 50 notice, would the EU insist on paying them 50bn to cover the EUs future budget commitments?

I'm curious.. If spain, portugal or greece served an article 50 notice, would the EU insist on paying them 50bn to cover the EUs future budget commitments?
I suspect the EU would expect them to pay for what they had agreed to pay for, prior to the Article 50.
What that amount would be is something for you to worry about. No-one else is.

I suspect the EU would expect them to pay for what they had agreed to pay for, prior to the Article 50.
What that amount would be is something for you to worry about. No-one else is.
So what is it that they wish us to pay for? Have they produced a list of items that we must pay for complete with our contribution for each item?
Would you go to a restaurant (In your case McDonalds) eat food and then pay whatever the waiter demands without producing a bill for your inspection?...

We are a net contributor and we pay a share of the EU budget. They want us to continue to fund all EU projects that were agreed when we were members. They want this agreement without any reciprocal agreement on how we might benefit or even be dealt with.

Or put it another way. you buy a big mac and fries every day, you tell mcdonald's that you won't be buying one anymore- fine they say but we sill want your £3.99 everyday- sure you say, why not - shall i just make out a cheque for the next 10 years?

We operate a first past the post system. Invariably, a minority elect politicians.

Actually, the largest minority of electors, elected suffcient politicians to form a govenment.

Now if this was Wannabe replying, it would have gone along the lines of "You really don't know anything about politics do you, you're obviously useless and worthless, and being so stupid, I'm amazed they even let you vote. Minorities don't elect politicians, people vote for their party, and the party with the greatest number of politicians then forms a government."

Sponsored Links
Back