ptfe tape

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to use ptfe tape on olives when putting rad valves on.
regards max

Yes.

Also wrap about 12 turns of ptfe tape on the thread. Pull tight and keep it neat though, as once you tighten the nuts, the tape may push outwards from the sides and be visible.

Went to a radiator job last week where the gas safe installer had done this, with the ptfe tape clearly visible on the radiator valve joints. looked terrible.

Is it ok to use ptfe tape on olives when putting rad valves on.
regards max

Yes, but you shouldn't need to.

Don't wrap tape around the threads on compression joints, the joint seals on the olive so it does nothing other than highlight the fact that the work was done by a cowboy.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, but 12 turns on the thread! Absolutely not needed. A smear of jointing paste on the olive is all thats needed.
INCOMING. :)
It's like using extra solder on Yorkshire capillary fittings.

It may have never failed, but it's total overkill. Your tutor needs to take a good look at himself and what other tips he may have passed on.

It may have never failed, but it's total overkill. Your tutor needs to take a good look at himself and what other tips he may have passed on.

i fail to see why its an issue, the PTFE tape on the threads wont cause any problems, if anything it can only bring benefit. Everyone does things slightly different, and he was in the plumbing trade for decades so his tips surely come from experience.

this was actually a tip given to me by my plumbing tutor. Its never failed.

No offense, but I don't believe you. No tutor worth his salt would give out this advice.

Plumbing tutor's now give advice on how to help make a fitting leak?! :confused:

my tutors were both ex BG, apprentice boys (well old men now with bad backs) time served
they said PTFE tape on threads was the sign of an amateur

my tutors were both ex BG, apprentice boys (well old men now with bad backs) time served
they said PTFE tape on threads was the sign of an amateur

well i've seen ptfe threads on almost all houses i have been to with central heating, so there must be a lot of amateurs about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back