Pulling down over head powerlines.

Sponsored Links
I don't think so.
I doubt the HSE would be involved either as normally we don't report these incidents to them (unless we have a lot caused by the same folk).

My reference to court was a civil court where NIE would take the OP if he doesn't pay up.

Look. The way it stands is the pole and cables have to be removed from the property.
The farmer will doing some more building anyway so it has to go.
He won't be too sympathetic with them I can assure you.

Serving other properties running over his sheds causing obstruction.

But which were there first the cables or the sheds? In my experience it will have been the cables.

farmer will insist on the pole and cables being removed from his property.

Thus potentially leaving himself without a supply

At the end of the day the cables were located in a dangerous location.

So why did you start work with them there.

It doesn't matter what you do or not, you will still have the bill to pay. If it ultimately costs NIE a lot of money that will not stop that process

At the end of the day the cables were located in a dangerous location.
But you knew they were there and therefore you should have taken care not to hit them with a digger.

Serving other properties running over his sheds causing obstruction.
If when you'd arrived you'd found that someone had parked a car near the entrance to the farm, causing an obstruction, do you think it would have been OK for you to just smash it out of the way with your digger?

Nie will have to move them now which will cost them several thousand.
This has opened up a can of worms and nie will be the ultimate losers.
Whether the farmer is justified in having the pole and cables removed, and whether he prevails, is not relevant to the fact that through your carelessness you damaged the cables. No matter how inappropriate their location, you knew they were there.

The farmer will side with us.
In what way?

Sponsored Links
The sheds were there first. The farm was built in 1870 or around that period.
Any leccy around then? Don't think so.

Look. The way it stands is the pole and cables have to be removed from the property.
The farmer will doing some more building anyway so it has to go.
He won't be too sympathetic with them I can assure you.
That's between him and them, and is separate from the issue between you and them where you damaged their property and they want you to pay for that.

Whether the farmer is justified in having the pole and cables removed, and whether he prevails, is not relevant to the fact that through your carelessness you damaged the cables. No matter how inappropriate their location, you knew they were there

What wrong with you? Why do I have to keep repeating this?

I was on another part of the site when the accident happened. I'm a navvy. Bossmans brother. Geddit yet?

Two banks men failed to warn the driver. Geddit it yet?
If something befalls my brother then I class that as "we" even though I had sweet fa to do with the accident.

Why do I have to keep repeating this?

I was on another part of the site when the accident happened. I'm a navvy. Bossmans brother. Geddit yet?
You have to keep repeating it because you are unable to understand what the word "you" sometimes means.

Two banks men failed to warn the driver. Geddit it yet?
Yes - two more people failed to do their job properly. Who was employing them at the time?

The decision on the safety of cables depends on so many other factors than just their location.

The information about the banks men is interesting, was the driver briefed about the location of the cables?

Oh one last question.
If the sheds were there first, who gave permission for the cables to be put there?

I'm finished with this thread. It's going no where.
I might post the outcome and I might not. :LOL:

Edit
Except for this...
So why did you start work with them there.

Because a wall had collapsed which left the farmer unable to feed his dairy cows. We moved in straight away and no questions asked as the cows are given priority.
So waiting on nie to sort cables out was not an option.

We should have tore them down at the beginning as it would have caused us less hassle.
They are situated in a hazardous location on private property.
We'll win this I can assure you.

I'm finished with this thread. It's going no where.
Only because you are not getting the answer you want to hear

We should have tore them down at the beginning as it would have caused us less hassle.
That statement if presented to a court would end any hope of you winning your case.

They are situated in a hazardous location on private property.
No doubt the property owner is aware, he or a previous owner almost certainly gave permission for the line to be installed and may receive a payment for the way leave.

We'll win this I can assure you.
I think a court might see otherwise as you clearly knew they were there.

Had there been an injury or death as a result of the incodent then the person responsible for site safety could have been facing a serious criminal charge

Norcon appears to care deeply that people should agree that it was all the DNOs fault and that nobody in his team was in any way to blame for them smacking the cables with the digger they were in charge of.

Not sure why - if it goes to court I don't think that "I've asked on an internet forum and people there agree with me" is going to do any more good than "We should have tore them down at the beginning as it would have caused us less hassle".

What a thread!

Cant comment on the suitability of the intiall installation, but £2700 doesnt seem a lot for the replacement cost.

My girlfriends parents have requested a cable that hangs low over some of their barns to be moved, on and off, for about the last 15 years. However as of the end of last year, two new posts have been put in either side of the farm buildings, and a below ground cable put into a trench around the farm, at the cost of the elec board.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back