Purchased Dewalt from the USA - messed up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have purchased a Dewalt combo drill from the US, but does anyone know if the charger is likely to work on 240v?

it seems that some appliances are dual voltage, but anyone know about Dewalt Flexvolt 6amp chargers?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your reply - appreciated.

It is the DCD999T1 - see photo of kit. I cannot see what charger it comes with and therefore whether it is 110v and 240v - any ideas?

Thanks again.

The charger may well be dual voltage I.e. 120v (60hz) / 230v (50Hz) but that's got nothing to do with 110v often used on building sites, as the 110v is centre tapped +/- 55v and isn't the same as 120v 60hz.

Sponsored Links
from what I can see the chargers are specific to the voltage 240v or 110v , BUT may have changed
Quite a few Videos on youtube on how to change dewalt charges from 110v to 240v , particularly a capacitor
Strange, as i would have thought like a lot of charges for things like laptops etc, they would have 110V/240V 50/60hz on them, amd must be cheaper to make for global markets

I'm not 100% , but i think import duty maybe zero rated , I know when I was looking at photo equipment ot was 4% years ago, BUT I think there is a VAT 20% charge
As i say NOT 100% on that info

A UK flexvolt charger is available for around £35-40

Looks like it comes with a DCB1106, which only lists 110v on the back: https://i.imgur.com/fANY3L9.jpg

The 240v version is DCB116. I bet internally they're the exact same, and I bet that if you contact DeWalt they'd be able to let you know.

Add: If it's heavy, it's probably got a transformer in it and is likely specific to the voltage specified. If it's light (way more likely) it'll have a switching mode power supply which is almost certainly able to deal with 110/220/240.

Add add: If you are actually stuck, the DCB116 is actually pretty cheap. Though, maybe consider this an excuse to get another battery? Or another tool with a 240v charger in its box!

I have an old DCB105 charger - I guess this would charge the new 6amp FlexVoltage battery, albeit slowly!?

Another alternative - I have seen plus in transformers from UK 240v to US 110v for £10?

Thanks

dont over do it just buy a uk charger if it doesnt work
be aware you may get stuck for importy taxes unless already paid
and if it needs repair or breaks down they wont touch it in the uk [or never used to] you will have to send it back to america

I have an old DCB105 charger - I guess this would charge the new 6amp FlexVoltage battery, albeit slowly!?

Another alternative - I have seen plus in transformers from UK 240v to US 110v for £10?

Thanks

I'd forget about that.

I bet internally they're the exact same,
Looking at the youtube videos a main capacitor is rated at 200V on the 100v version and blows.
although they are quite old versions, and not 54V
I would have thought the cost and global manufacturing , it would be cheaper to make all the same

I purchased a converter for a US mini hifi my daughter purchased , the cost was around £60 and it lasted quite a few years , before the hifi went wrong and she through the lot away.
But i would beware of £10 units

Import duty/Tax, as i mentioned, I think is charged via the courier , so they will want the money before delivery. At least thats how it worked when i was looking at some canon/nikon gear in the 90's they were cheaper in $ then the UK £ - so quite a saving, but in the end i did not as warranty was an issue with grey imports

For info, I've paid import charges upfront. Might all end up a schoolboy error if I need to purchase a new charger! Never mind! Just want to be safe and not risk a fire/overheating I guess!

The service I am using states that all charges are covered.......??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back