Qashqai spare wheel ( follow on space saver post)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2393C481-F809-4D86-9460-499574DDB42C.jpeg
B6D5904F-A87D-47AB-812F-0A82EEC4525B.jpeg
can someone offer me some advice please about obtaining a spare wheel for my daughters qashqai , 65 plate car .
I was concerned before reading the space saver post but now I realise the effect of not having a good proper spare is more worrying than before
It seems to me that the only safe answer is s proper spare, equal in size to the other tyres
Can anyone offer some advice ? Tia

Sponsored Links
Is there any room for the spare in the Qashqai, Terry?
Personally I don't have any issues with a space saver tyre (as a get you home remedy, of course) but would happily buy a full size spare if I could (65 plate Yeti.) No space for a space saver either :( so I've little alternative but to chance it.
John :)

Is it AWD?.

Main thing is if it clears the calipers and the circumference around the tyre is identical.

Our Kuga spare is a space saver, but the correct circumference to protect the transmission.

Hi Keith
Is AWD all wheel drive ,?
I don’t know to be honest if the car has that feature. Is it nissans version of 4 wheel drive?

Sponsored Links
You might as well buy a 16 inch steel rim, as long as it clears the larger front calipers. One of those alloys will be expensive.

A 16 inch rim with a 215/65 tyre works out as only 4mm smaller radius than the 215/55R18 tyres that you have.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Is there any room for the spare in the Qashqai, Terry?
Personally I don't have any issues with a space saver tyre (as a get you home remedy, of course) but would happily buy a full size spare if I could (65 plate Yeti.) No space for a space saver either :( so I've little alternative but to chance it.

Seriously John ? You are driving with either nothing or a can of goo ? That seems more than risky, given that you live in a relatively remote area. Is it not worthwhile strapping down a spare of some sort in the rear luggage space ?

I wouldn't normally have mentioned "strapping down " specifically, but in an accident I had a few months back, a wheel that I had in the luggage area of a hatch-back, was thrown forward and was stopped by my head-restraint. I shudder to think of the result if the shock had been more violent.

The wheel was there - and unrestrained - as I had just chucked it in to go and get a new tyre the next day and obviously felt that nothing would happen.

Yes indeed.....the usual kit is a can of sealant and a compressor that takes most of the day to inflate the tyre :eek: I also carry a motorbike puncture kit which uses a push in plug and some vulcanising goo. All well and good so long as get a 'typical' puncture which I can see to but any side wall damage and its game over.
There isn't a jack, either :(
The Yeti boot floor utilises an Adblue tank so any spare wheel eats up into the boot space significantly but I guess a roof box could be used.....and that puts me into the next price bracket on Brittany Ferries!
It sure takes the edge of carefree touring.
Anyway, what should appear yesterday but a new Mazda MX5 with a puncture.....that was too low to get a jack in and they recommend one of those inflatable jacking balloons that are pumped up by the exhaust :eek:
I managed to sort it by taking the wheels and jacking cup off my smallest trolley jack - it was low enough then to get under. Ridiculous!

Terry
How about using Ebay using following searches:
"Qashqai alloy 215 55"
"Qashqai alloy"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XQashqai+alloy+215/55.TRS0&_nkw=Qashqai+alloy+215/55&_sacat=0
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Qashqai+alloy+215/55&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XQashqai+alloy.TRS0&_nkw=Qashqai+alloy&_sacat=0

Your alloy and Tyre is there for £140 to £195 (offers accepted).
But you need to check to see if there is extra space where space saver was. Some cars have the space filled with Foam that you can remove, some do not.
SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I thought it was illegal to have no spare in some countries. If so how would Skoda sell a Yeti there?

Terry
How about using Ebay using following searches:
"Qashqai alloy 215 55"
"Qashqai+alloy"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XQashqai+alloy+215/55.TRS0&_nkw=Qashqai+alloy+215/55&_sacat=0
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Qashqai+alloy+215/55&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XQashqai+alloy.TRS0&_nkw=Qashqai+alloy&_sacat=0

Your alloy and Tyre is there for £140 to £195 (offers accepted).
But you need to check to see if there is extra space where space saver was. Some cars have teh full space filled with Foam that you can remove, some do not.
SFK

He hasn't got a space saver to start with, or jack etc.

Keith,
I know but many cars in UK do have the space to put a spare wheel, but for UK market the manufacturers have filled it with foam. Examples of this are Mazda who for UK market do it to save weight and improve fuel economy. Many then rove the foam and put in a full size wheel and tyre.
(However Mazda do provide jack in a relatively hidden location).

Sfk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back