Racist attacks in Belfast.

Unemployment is on the rise, yet more and more migrants are coming, can anyone outline the benefits of uncontrolled migration over controlled migration? if the UK needs to import workers for certain jobs thats ok, but why allow criminals in as well.

My understanding of the EU is that we send them our money and in return they send us their unemployed and at no extra cost they let us have their criminals as well :confused:

Sponsored Links
Unemployment is on the rise, yet more and more migrants are coming, can anyone outline the benefits of uncontrolled migration over controlled migration? if the UK needs to import workers for certain jobs thats ok, but why allow criminals in as well.

My understanding of the EU is that we send them our money and in return they send us their unemployed and at no extra cost they let us have their criminals as well :confused:

A surplus of workers willing to work for the minimum wage forces wages down That's what industry wants. Industry backs the government that will allow this to happen. That's what government wants. So everybody's happy eh?

A surplus of workers willing to work for the minimum wage forces wages down That's what industry wants. Industry backs the government that will allow this to happen. That's what government wants. So everybody's happy eh?

What work? There's none!
Good folk have given all there lives to working for this country and for what to be sh@t on!
:mad:

Sponsored Links
A large company I used to work for laid us all off. Then got 6 'volunteer' women to go to Poland for 3 months and teach Polish women how to make the fuses these same women had been making in this country for over 60 years!

A large company I used to work for laid us all off. Then got 6 'volunteer' women to go to Poland for 3 months and teach Polish women how to make the fuses these same women had been making in this country for over 60 years!
Bet you blew a fuse when they laid you off?

The sad fact is we are victims of our own success, we expected to continue, receiving relatively good wages, when the products we were producing were uncompetitive. there was little wonder when company's relocated abroad in order to take advantage of cheaper labour costs.

We are on a downward spiral, unless we can drastically reduce manufacturing costs, to make our industry viable again, wich unfortunately does not seem to be very likely. :cry: :cry:

Bet you blew a fuse when they laid you off?

You had to didn't you? :LOL:

Truth was, our line was producing btween 125-135% above target each week and as we were on bonus, (our flat rate was carp), it enabled us to make a decent wage. The yanks bought us out, simply to get a toe hold in europe, and after everythig was signed they told everyone they would be closing us down in 12 months as the figures were not as good as they first thought for certain products. About 3 years later it came to light that a 'number cruncher' had been 'manipulating' the figures for various departments which actually showed us to be running at a 'marginal' profit. This ultimately led to the full closure. When he had been 'manipulating' the figures he had been taking our profits and re-distributing them to loss making departments to even things up. What he didn't know was that they had never had any intentions of keeping these loss makes. The yanks had only wanted the distribution boards and air-circuit breaker departments. They were mis-led, we lost our jobs and the DB's and breakers were shipped abroad to India and the fuses to Poland. We did talk about a 'buy-out' but even though we knew the product like the back of our hand we didn't have the backing of the designers, without them we would have sunk within 2 years.

I think this kind of thing has happened quite a lot in other places as well. Manufacturing innovation in this country has been killed off and I don't see any chance of it returning, not in my life time anyway.

Conny, what you say is absolutely true.
I experienced the same thing in the chemical industry, saw our company taken over first by the Americans, a buy back was arranged, the company was re-launched, on the stock exchange, only then to be taken over by the French, who stripped all the money making processes over to their own facilities in France.
It really grieves me when thinking of all the time and effort put into the company by a loyal workforce, over numerous years, can have so little value. :cry: :cry:

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this as it may get 'moderated' but as the company no longer exists I don't see a problem.
We were originally called English Electric then it changed to GEC, (General Electric Company, British not American).
The American company GE, (General Electric), bought us out to gain a toe hold in Europe. While we were Eng.Elec/GEC any time there were redundancies they were always on 'enhanced payments'. When the yanks closed us down it was on minimum government terms. I ended up with about £3,500 for almost 10 years service, under the previous system I could have expexted £15,000-18,000. Sickening.
When I joined there were over 6,500 people working there, when I left it had been whittled down to less than 150, most of them women making fuses.
I really loved that job and the people there were a great bunch.

BARSTEWARDS! :evil:

I was a bit more fortunate with my redundancy package, plus I finished on the final salary pension scheme, 36 years with the company.
I felt really bitter at the time, but on reflection the timing was perfect, and I came away with a fair sum.
They called it progress...do away with management and empower the workforce, did it work? did it hell :evil:

So does that mean that a large pool of unemployed labour is a necessary evil for a market economy to competitive?

Sponsored Links
Back