Re-Fitting my en-suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved house just under a year ago (the house was built in 2004), since then it seems other than painting the walls, nothing in the house has been changed.
The en-suite to the master bedroom had plain 6inch x 12inch white tiles around the shower tray and just above the sink which were uninspiring to the eye and looked a bit grubby.
For the sink area, there was a custom built unit built that was constructed using a couple of kitchen cupboard doors and chipboard formica worktop. There was a counter sunk sink (that had a huge 4inch scar in the enamel finish!).... Simply put, it looked pretty bad, unfortunatley I didn't take any "before" photos so you'll just have to try and imagine what it was like using my bad description ;).
On the new suite, we decided to go for a timeless luxury look with some modern elements rather than going bang on trend and getting fed up with it a few years down the line. So here's a little bit about the work I've done along with photos that could be useful to someone else wanting to do a similar project....

After ripping out the old "suite" & removing the stud wall dividing the shower and basin area...

The master bedroom was a mess (it's the next room to be sorted)...

Re-Boarded the walls & plastered the ceiling...

Re-routed plumbing for the shower:

Fitted the shower tray (re-inforced the flooring by installing new joists under tray area & bedded tray - using a 5:1 mortar mix - on top of ply board).

Added a small shelf into the stud wall to avoid having to use a metal hanging "thing" to hold shampoo's etc...

Quick test fit of the shower:

Re-routed the plumbing for the basin and boarded with ply as I'm going to use a floating sink unit that hangs from the wall so ply is far stronger for holding it solid...

Getting the room prepared for tiling; had to remove the radiator and free the heating pipes as I'm replacing this with a heated towel rail...

Decided to mitre cut my way round the 90degree angles avoiding tile trims:

Fitted mosaics to the back of shower wall, shower shelf wall & behind the basin....

Started tiling the other walls...

Need to finish the tiling.... will update next week.

Sponsored Links
nice. you seem to have used normal plasterboard around the shower. If so, I think that was a mistake. If I am mistaken I apologise!

Sponsored Links
wow, great work! I wish I was brave enough to have a go at something like this. Enjoy your shower :p

I was away skiing for a week so I missed the last couple of weekends in mid-feb hence no updates, but over this weekend I painted the ceiling and replaced the radiator valves (sorted the plumbing so pipes would fit behind tiles). I also finished sticking the last few tiles to the walls, did all the grouting & fitted a new extractor fan.

I need to finish polishing up the tiles (removing the last bits of grout haze) after work this evening, but here's some photos after this weekends work....

Looks great,

Although this would bug me like crazy that the tiles aren't following the pattern, I see why you did it though.

184000_183831_89771_31686838.jpg

so will everything be completed once the tiles have been polished, or do you have more plans?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back