Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone

i have a scantronic i-on40 in part set mode with the following zones configured:
zone 17 - hall PIR (final exit)
zone 18 - lounge PIR (normal alarm)
zone 19 - garage PIR (normal alarm)
zone 20 - front door contact (final exit)
zone 21 - back door contact (normal alarm)

i only use part set A, which is a timed set exit mode, regardless of whether i'm in the house or out, so it's a very simple system. i walk through the hall PIR to get to the control panel, so i take this route when turning the alarm off in a morning and when setting it when going to bed. the front door is also configured as final exit as this is my entry/exit point into the house. the front door actually opens to the hall PIR, so there are 2 final exit detectors in the same room (i'm not sure if this is good practice, but seems to work okay)

however, i've always had a few niggles with the system. it's tricky to pinpoint and explain exactly what's happening, but if i start trying to test the alarm by taking unusual routes i.e. walking in through the lounge PIR, or the garage PIR, it's like the alarm system knows i'm behaving abnormally and suddenly won't even trigger the hall PIR (which works fine under normal conditions). it's really really weird - it's like there's some kind of intelligence built in to the alarm system to prevent it from triggering because it knows something out of the ordinary is happening. for example, i've just successfully tested walking in through the lounge PIR which immediately triggered the alarm. i then reset the system and tried to trigger the garage PIR and it did absolutely nothing. i even proceeded to walk through the hall PIR which also did absolutely nothing (even though it works fine for entry/exit every single day!) i'm 99% certain that all detectors do work i.e. if i didn't faff and simply set the system and someone came in through the garage PIR, i'm pretty sure it would sound the normal alarm. but i can't seem to test them all in a short amount of time - it's like all the PIRs outsmart me and go into some kind of disable mode. if i let it settle and test it again in an hour, i'm pretty sure it would work fine, but i would really like to understand why it does this! worth noting that this behavior doesn't effect the door contacts - they always reliably sound the alarm, regardless of whether or not i've been testing different detectors

thanks in advance for any help - this is driving me nuts!

Sponsored Links
I take it ...it’s a wireless alarm ? They go into sleep mode if your walking around , best bet is keep out of that area and set the system ....wait a few minutes then try it ...

yes, it's a wireless alarm. all detectors are wireless. the door contacts never have a problem, but the PIRs do. is that what it is then? can you just explain why/when they go into sleep mode? thanks sparkymarka!

Sponsored Links
Varies from different manufacturers......you would be shopping the batteries every week if not !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back