Recent Electircal Work Questions

What I meant to say is that I read it as 300mm and couldn't see what the joke was!!

Sponsored Links
Sparky mk1 is coming back to do things properly. So he is not all bad, he was very apologetic, and wanted to get things right. It was good having the knowledge from the posters on here of how things should be done.

Is he young or old? I have to wonder how experienced he is.

Good he's prepared to sort it out.

Make sure you send photos of the work in progress, when he's not looking.

Sponsored Links
Sparky mk1 is coming back to do things properly. So he is not all bad, he was very apologetic, and wanted to get things right.
Has he re-educated himself, then? I thought you said that he was previously adamant that everything he had done was 'right'. If so, I presume that he will only be able to "get things (really) 'right' " if he has now learned what (real) 'right' actually is.

Kind Regards, John

Interesting, isn't it?

We were all eager for him to put it right at first, now having him back to do it seems a worry.

But what do you do, when spark 1 wants £300, then spark 2 would want £1000.

I do symphasise with the predicament you find yourself in, hopefully things will be better now. But it looks like spark 1 needs to do a crash course in electrical installation. Let's hope his second fix technique has improved too.

I expressed my concerns regarding his work, and told him how it should be done (with the help from here & NIC technical helpline) or should I say how I want it done. if he is willing to put the work right, which seems fair and he is not being unreasonable what else can I do . In an ideal world I would have rather avoided this situation. He is no spring chicken, so seems an obscure approach on his installation work and there is no doubt the first effort was a pile of sh*ite, I will be there this time so hopefully no more misunderstandings.

A new consumer unit, or a complete overhaul of the existing unit replacing the RCD for a main switch, and all the circuit breakers for RCBOs is the only way this installation can be brought up to compliance with the regs.

If spark mk1 isn't planning on doing this then you really need to kick him into touch.

Yeah, I wouldn't waste time and money correcting the existing MCB's. Just update it to RCBO's.

Can you put RCBOs in the existing unit I have? Just had a look at them and they appear much bigger......?

Yes, but the cables coming into the unit need to be immaculately dressed, ie very tidy.

The only thing is, the board you have is limited as to number of ways. There is no room for expansion.

You would need to swap the 63A RCD for a 100A incomer and I'm not sure if that blue link to the neutral bar is rated at 100A.

After all that, especially the board size issue, you may want to replace the whole thing.

There's photo's of neatly wired boards in this thread, including a Wylex one:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1447942#1447942

Iphone063.jpg

A new consumer unit, or a complete overhaul of the existing unit replacing the RCD for a main switch, and all the circuit breakers for RCBOs is the only way this installation can be brought up to compliance with the regs.
Whilst that is true (and desirable, and surprising that it has not been done 'properly'), since the installation has not been subjected to a 're-wire', I doubt that there is a requirement that it be brought up to compliance with current regs as regards separation of circuits, is there?

Kind Regards, John

You are not forced to bring the rest of the installation upto current regs, but the part you install must comply.

Connecting a new circuit into an existing board with an upfront RCD will leave your new curcuit not compliant.

You would have to either fit a new board just for the new circuit, or do one of the alternatives mentioned above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back