Recent Electircal Work Questions

I've outlined non-compliant cables in red for you too.

szone1.jpg

And the vertical existing cooker cable?

Sponsored Links
So the area which does not comply is the safe zones. The radial add on are OK.

I can not also believe he spurred off the back socket near the door when the old one was 6" above......

Sponsored Links
So the area which does not comply is the safe zones.

Correct.

The radial add on are OK.

We're not sure yet, but I wouldn't hold your breath looking at the rest of his work.

How is the consumer unit photo coming on?

I can not also believe he spurred off the back socket near the door when the old one was 6" above......

If the existing socket is part of the ring, and the new socket really is a spur, then the chances are the concealed joint is not allowed either.

Correct.

We're not sure yet, but I wouldn't hold your breath looking at the rest of his work.

If the existing socket is part of the ring, and the new socket really is a spur, then the chances are the concealed joint is not allowed either.

Three wires in one butt crimp... :!:

Correct.

Cant get a pic until tomorrow eve as I'm not at the property.

He told me the joints can be concealed if they are crimped. He has crimped the connections and filled inside the old box......

Crimped joints can only be concealed if done properly.

Only two wires in a regular crimp butt.

Correct size crimp must be used.

Cables and joint must be in safe zone.

Correct crimping tool must be used.

Crimp would need to be sleeved (heat shrink?) or in an enclosure if covered by filler, IMO.

Yep, crimps are allowed, but only 2 wires are allowed in a crimp. If the new socket is a spur from the now filled in socket, then there would be 3 wires in one crimp, which is not only not allowed, it WILL fail.

So he must have crimped three wires.........Short of hacking out all the filler I cannot tell exactly what has gone on.

I could only see one wire going into the new backbox so assume this is what he has done. So this is another non conforming item. What a douche

Assuming the old socket orginally had two cables at it, yes.

A regular in line crimp can only have one wire in each end of it.

Different size crimps in different size colours.

For example, 2.5 mm2 live and neutral wires would use blue crimps.

The earth would typically be 1.5 mm2, and would use a red crimp.

On the cooker cable, I would expect to see yellow crimps for L and N, and blue for the earth. BUT THAT WOULD BE FOR 6.0 mm2 COOKER CABLE, don't want to start speculating just yet.

Assuming the old socket orginally had two cables at it, yes.

A regular in line crimp can only have one wire in each end of it.

Different size crimps in different size colours.

For example, 2.5 mm2 live and neutral wires would use blue crimps.

The earth would typically be 1.5 mm2, and would use a red crimp.

On the cooker cable, I would expect to see yellow crimps for L and N, and blue for the earth. BUT THAT WOULD BE FOR 6.0 mm2 COOKER CABLE, don't want to start speculating just yet.

He has used 6mm2 on the cooker, 2.5mm2 on the sockets & 1.5mm2 on the fan.

And when I questioned him today on the socket by the door he said that was on a ring so must have had 2 cables.

Crimped joints can only be concealed if done properly.
Only two wires in a regular crimp butt.
Correct size crimp must be used.
Cables and joint must be in safe zone.
Correct crimping tool must be used.
Crimp would need to be sleeved (heat shrink?) or in an enclosure if covered by filler, IMO.
And, of course, should not be done on solid cores. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back