Recent Electircal Work Questions

I made a mistake. .....I assumed they were spurs of the ring. I'm told they are A3 radials now. There aren't any 20a fuses.....uses the 32 mcb on the cu

Sponsored Links
For a start, "...having exercised reasonable skill and care..." actually appears before "...hereby CERTIFY". More to the point, you are effectively trying to use this to negate the "...to the best of my knowledge and belief.." (which comes after "...hereby CERTIFY.."), since you are presumably primarily suggesting that there was a lack of 'reasonable skill and care' consequent upon knowledge and/or belief about the regs being incorrect.
No - I am asserting that he did not exercise reasonable skill and care, when he said that he did. He did not say "I'm pretty sure I exercised reasonable skill and care". He did not say "To the best of my knowledge and belief I exercised reasonable skill and care".

As I say, you'd need a lawyer (or a haggle of lawyers) for that one. IMO, in common sense terms, someone who signs that declaration 'in good faith' because their knowledge is inadequate is probably 'incompetent', but probably not fraudulent.
And if it could be shown (as I suspect it could), that he did not have sufficient grounds for believing himself to be competent?

"Are you familiar with the Wiring Regulations?"

"Yes."

"Then why did you contravene 522.6.101?"

It's only ever going to head in one direction for the guy.

But where does the new cable feeding the new 2 doubles and fused spur switch come from?

Some photos here may be useful.

I made a mistake. .....I assumed they were spurs of the ring. I'm told they are A3 radials now. There aren't any 20a fuses.....uses the 32 mcb on the cu
So we can add not knowing what an A3 radial is to the list.

What size cable has he used?

Are there really 4 cables leaving the kitchen MCB - 2 for the ring and 2 for the 2 radials?

Sponsored Links
He put that in......I will have to take the floor up to see exactly what he has done. My guess is hes run a wire straight from the cu acting as a radial but will have to look to see if he's jumped onto the ring in reality.

1) Scan and post the schedule of test results from the EIC.

2) Post a photo of the "kitchen" MCB in the CU.

He's probably surprised by the 2 more none compliances that are your consumer unit!

You should not have a single RCD protecting all the circuits of your installation.

You can not mix and match different manufacturers parts in one consumer unit. You have a wylex CU, so those tenby circuit breakers should not be there.

Would you feel happy to take the cover off?

You should switch off the main switch, and then just unscrew the two screws recessed into the front cover, and pull the cover forwards holding it by the wings on the outer edges.

Do NOT touch anything inside.

Take a clear in focus photo, and then slide the cover back on and do up the screws.

Turn the power back on.

If you don't feel happy to do this, then don't.

Can do it no problem.....in the electrician's defense he put a wylex type and and I said surely they should all match.....sonhe changed to this tenby brand.

Did you mean you wanted me to take the cover off?
I find it hard to see the number and size of wires going into a CU with the cover on.

Re RF - I'm losing all sense of surprise at more non-compliances.

They should all match, and they should all be wylex!

This 'electrician' really isn't filling me with confidence.

If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to sort this mess out for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back