Recent Electircal Work Questions

Sponsored Links
The red route may be an old existing cable, but it's not in a safe zone.

NOR are the new sections of cooker cable.

NOR are the socket and extractor cables.

There's more to safe cable zones than not running them diagonally.

As far as I can see, that electrician is wrong.

And this is not us being pedantic.

It's very wrong.

His EIC contains a falsehood, and he has signed it.
What is the 'falsehood'? He will preumably have signed a declaration which includes "...to the best of my knowledge and belief..." and the OP has said:
He hasn't falsified documents....in his mind its ok.
"To the best of my knowledge and belief" qualifies his assertion that his work complied with the Wiring Regulations.

He also asserted that he had exercised reasonable skill and care. That assertion was not qualified. And it was not true.

Well he wasn't willing to accept my point so for the sake of 300......I cant be bothered to argue and will try to source someone from recommendation.....this is a rental property so time is money. This is an expensive lesson, but he will never work for me again.

Sponsored Links
And so he lives to defraud again, and possibly kill someone.

You are going to have to get someone else to sort out his lethal mess anyway, so the time problem is going to apply anyway.

I can see how you might not want to be bothered to try and sue him, but if you still owe him, don't pay, and point out to him that should he try to sue you, his credibility will be destroyed, and evidence of his criminal activities will be brought out in court.

He should have offered to come round and have a good look at it and see your point of view. And show him the two diagrams given to you. Would offer this option before you pay him.

It's a sad state of affairs when these cowboys reduce people to thinking to themselves it's easier just pay it, and get someone else in - but it probably is.

He actually made me feel bad for questioning him. Is this A3 radial business acceptable?

I will put everything down in writing on an email then he can decide what he wants to do. Should the whole kitchen be on a ring not a mix of radial and ring

"To the best of my knowledge and belief" qualifies his assertion that his work complied with the Wiring Regulations.
It does, indeed, and if it transpired that his knowledge and/or belief were actually incorrect, that would not render 'signing for that' as a 'falsehood' or a 'fraud'.
"He also asserted that he had exercised reasonable skill and care. That assertion was not qualified. And it was not true.
We would need a lawyer for this one. For a start, "...having exercised reasonable skill and care..." actually appears before "...hereby CERTIFY". More to the point, you are effectively trying to use this to negate the "...to the best of my knowledge and belief.." (which comes after "...hereby CERTIFY.."), since you are presumably primarily suggesting that there was a lack of 'reasonable skill and care' consequent upon knowledge and/or belief about the regs being incorrect.

As I say, you'd need a lawyer (or a haggle of lawyers) for that one. IMO, in common sense terms, someone who signs that declaration 'in good faith' because their knowledge is inadequate is probably 'incompetent', but probably not fraudulent.

Kind Regards, John

An A3 radial socket circuit has a 20 amp fuse or MCB at the mains, wired in 2.5 mm2 or greater cable. This type of circuit can have a long line of spurs.

I gather you didn't have a socket circuit with a 20 amp fuse or MCB.

If it helps;
A1 socket circuit is rings 30 or 32 amp, minimum 2.5 mm2 cable.
A2 socket circuit is radial 30 or 32 amp, minimum 4.0 mm2 cable.

I will put everything down in writing on an email then he can decide what he wants to do. Should the whole kitchen be on a ring not a mix of radial and ring

The whole kitchen may comprise of both separate rings and radial circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back