Remove a pendant and ceiling pull switch

The switch in question may not even be 2 way.

There was a common practice in bedrooms to fit a light near the window, controlled by a 1 way switch by the door. Then there would be another light over the bed, controlled by a 1 way pull switch.

Absolutely old fashioned method, not as good as 2 way, and looks hideous in these modern times.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I know.

But to say that anybody who doesn't need, but just wants, a light switch they can reach from the bed is either a lazy bastard or a nutter is ridiculous, and nobody who makes that claim should escape being roundly criticised and ridiculed for it.

2 way switches by the bed are a luxury, and once you have them you'll always want them. Often found more in larger houses it seems, though no reason everyone shouldn't have them, such a simple set up can be very convenient.

Didn’t say there was anything wrong with being frail you pillock. I fitted some grab bars in various places in my parents bungalow and had the bath removed and had a walk-in shower with a proper shower chair installed because my Dad was frail and couldn’t physically get in or out of a bath. If he wasn’t frail and still wanted them, I’d have said he was a lazy bastard or a Nutter. The husband of the lady opposite me had a stairlift fitted because he was frail. If he wasn’t frail and still had it fitted.....again, lazy bastard or nutter. Why are you having trouble understanding that?

Did your father have a switch at the bed, I'm sure he would have found the benefit from this arrangement.

Sponsored Links
We did have a chance of getting a response from the OP. As clarification questions were asked right at the start.
But
As usual
Certain stupid people who are too full of their own so-called importance have made sure that they have (again) scared off a person who comes on here asking a simple question.

Why can’t you just shut the €^#! Up?

The switch in question may not even be 2 way.

There was a common practice in bedrooms to fit a light near the window, controlled by a 1 way switch by the door. Then there would be another light over the bed, controlled by a 1 way pull switch.

Absolutely old fashioned method, not as good as 2 way, and looks hideous in these modern times.

I don't think for one moment the op is going to have a room without a light in it at all.

I imagine that it was an added one for a reading light. Or perhaps someone who cannot see to well and needs to be able to find the bed.
If so, it’s probably a simple thing to remove. But we are not going to find out now.

Did your father have a switch at the bed, I'm sure he would have found the benefit from this arrangement.
Nope. He had a remote control by the bedside along with his commode. If he didn’t have a remote controlled light, I’d have fitted him a two way pull switch. As I said, he was frail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back