Removing hipped bonnet tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a knack to removing hipped bonnet tiles which have been bedded in with mortar?
Other than smashing them to bits that is.

Sponsored Links
++++++++
rude and unhelpful post removed
++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:
They have hidden fixings. Only by removing those above, will you be able to access the problem one.

Ok let me start again.
As for "smashing them to bits" - only a fool would do that.
That a joke and you know it, I am also a builder so really vinn get out the right side of the bed tomorrow ok mate.

They have hidden fixings. Only by removing those above, will you be able to access the problem one.
This is very true, the real problem I have is the mortar used it really strong taking off 3 hipped bonnets and the 6 other plain tiles with it.

Getting the mortar off the tiles is near impossible without them braking.
I really don't want to have to take them all off an replace them but it looks like I am going to have to.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Start from top and work down.. yours sound very solid ,sometimes you just have to accept defeat..

Agree with Data, when you end up with a solid mass of tiles and hips coming away as one big chunk in your hands, then it's time to buy new hips etc.

Indeed the only thing I can suggest is to actually strike the mortar with the bolster rather than the exact junction between the tile and mortar and see if you might be able to shock them into cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back