Repair or replace cracked toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the following close coupled toilet and the ceramic cistern has cracked. Tenant say it happened by itself. Looking at the crack is this believable or do you guys reckon is due to some accidental or other impact?

I understand cisterns can crack over time due to temperature changes or overtightening of bolts. I can't see there having been a huge temperature change and the closest bolt appears to be the toilet handle though that hasn't been touched in years.

In any case is this crack repairable or would you suggest replacing the cistern? Problem with replacing cistern is finding one which is the same (twyfords) that will fit the pan as its is fairly dated...not too bothered about colour. Other than that I'd have to replace entire toilet.

Any advice suggestion appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220603_124529.jpg
    20220603_124529.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220603_122904.jpg
    20220603_122904.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220603_122935.jpg
    20220603_122935.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
If a siphon flush (as you show) fails to flush easily, people can be tempted to be more vigorous than usual with the handle. I'd guess excess force caused an incipient crack to develop. I don't see a repair being reliable. Best to replace the cistern/toilet to avoid a flood.

Imo, I doubt it’s cracked by itself. You may get lucky with a replacement cistern, if the centre to centre of bolts is the same, and the colour. However, I suggest as per @flameport, new toilet altogether. Just factor in the base, otherwise you’ll need a new floor covering too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking for a reliable replacement. Any one know if these Armitage Shanks Sandringham 21 CLOSE-COUPLED WC PACK DUAL-FLUSH 6LTR toilets are any good. Seems to have poor reviews.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back