Repairing Victorian Terrace Staggered Party Wall Top

Joined
11 Oct 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster here.

I’ve recently been carrying out roofwork on my terrace house. Fitted a velux, replaced lead 2cm x 3cm soakers with 14cm x 10cm and cover flashing on the main house abutment wall with a drip bead rendered in immediately above the lead mate line to ensure it’s bulletproof as I’m on a very exposed steep hill.

Now I’ve turned my attention to the extension finally, I’ve discovered:

- Lead is knackered, cracked in places as they just rolled 3m of it and fixed it in continuous lengths plus its old.
- Ridge tiles are loose with no mortar anywhere.
- Top sloped brick course immediately above the chase for cover flashing is loose.

IMG_1339.jpeg


I’m trying to work out what would be the best way to approach this. I could rebed the tiles and render the small wall drop down to the chase where I’d use leadmate again. But I don’t want to create a situation where when the roof comes to being replaced (probably in a year or so) inserting new lead pops off/cracks the render and single brick/ridge above.

I’m open to any ideas on how to approach this, perhaps even improve this janky setup.

On the other side of the wall is my neighbors yard. A little further back is where his extension ends and the party wall steps up to his roofline.

Thanks,
Alex
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Can you do a sketch of what it looks like, on each side of the wall, as a section through the wall?

E.g. is it where two pitches meet, or is it where a pitch meets a vertical wall, or two different height pitches etc?
 
OP,
Where the party wall in pic#1 extends above the roof abutment it becomes a parapet. Is the party wall solid or cavity?

In your case, first thing might be to drop the full length of the "lower" (pic#1) parapet to the abutment line - & see what you've got before any remedial rebuilding.
Does pic#2 form part of the neighbor's extension? Or is it also part of the parapet? Whatever, it also needs rebuilding.
Do you have damp issues below the roof?

Why not post pics of the neighbor's side of the wall showing his extension?
Pics showing the whole roof?
And pics showing the already flashed roof abutment with the rear elevation.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top