Replacement Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have an OptimaXM alarm which I would like to replace, I was wondering what would be the best alarm to replace it with.

I would like to keep the existing wired PIR's as they are new.
I would like to install two wireless keypads (i would like wired/wireless capability for future use anyway).
Optional but handy would be IP connectivity to home network.

I will be replacing the alarm myself so ease of installation would be a bonus.

Much appreciated
Regards

Sponsored Links
I would suggest Texecom Premier Elite, you can add wireless to it at later date, currently they don't have wireless keypads developed.

Saying that I spoke with a Texecom Engineer regarding the wireless expanders latest firmware, been told its for possible future devices they are working on (2.1.2 expander version), but no idea what those new devices are

I am sure someone will correct me, but most panels that have wireless keypads don't have hardwired zones (panels usually completely wireless, some you may have to add a special expander to do hard wired zones), Agility 3 has this option but is a trade only panel and you need to have the adapter/expander and the hard wired zones are limited only a few.

I recently enquired about a Texecom Ricochet wireless keypad and got this response..............

Hi Andy

It is in the pipeline but is likely to be 12 months before being launched.

Kind Regards

Gillian Whitehead
Sales Administrator

Sponsored Links
Its rare that they are launched early, IFSEC 2016 it may show its head if its close I guess. Chances are that the 2.1.2 expander may support the wireless keypad then.

Shame you cant flash the expanders up in the field.

Saying that you can go fibre optic with the new ttl com so you can have the panel and network separated by miles but need at least 2 x ttl com and 2 modems to have the network somewhere else, but its still hardwired.

I am guessing your response was after Mid May when my sales rep said they weren't working on a wireless keypad, so must be very early days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses
If I go fully wired whats the best option, and as you say if I really want wireless keypads whats my choices?

Update
So if I am reading this correctly the Texacom Premier Elite can do wired/wireless zones but only wired keypads? Also which module would be required for IP connectivity?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not an alarm expert but I upgraded my own old Galaxy alarm to a better Galaxy G2 series panel, which seems to do most of what you require. You can have wired or wireless with the panel (but you need an add-on for wireless), or both. AFAIK most sensors/sirens are compatible with most alarms so you could probably re-use yours, and you can have multiple keypads although I'm not sure whether they can be wireless. We also have proxtags on ours (small keyfobs to swipe against the panel to set/unset as you walk past).

The Galaxy stuff seems well respected by the industry, and the 12 zone version panels are under £50 on ebay. You can add an ethernet module for £50 which gives you texts/emails/phone calls when the alarm goes off, and allows you full access to the panel via internet or phone app etc. Google selfmon for more info, quite a few on here use it.

Thanks for the responses
If I go fully wired whats the best option, and as you say if I really want wireless keypads whats my choices?

Update
So if I am reading this correctly the Texacom Premier Elite can do wired/wireless zones but only wired keypads? Also which module would be required for IP connectivity?

Thanks
I replaced my own old alarm (no remote keypads) with a Premier Elite last year, I managed to site a keypad adjacent to the front door using the existing wiring for the magnetic door contact, work the cable back up the wall to fit the keypad and then linked back out to wire the existing door contact, obviously your situation may be different but the Texecom keypads are wired with just 4 cores but then allow another 2 zones to be wired from them so they are a flexible option.

Thanks
Which is easier to install, G2 or Texecom Premier Elite? Which would be better long term.
I have only 4 zones that I need to cover currently

Regards

How many wired zones do you have? A panel such as a Premier Elite 24-W doesn't need a wireless expander but only has 4 onboard wired zones. A Premier Elite 24 will need a wireless expander (either 8XP-W or 32XP-W) but has 8 wired zones. Here is a list, there is also the 12-W Live which has the keypad built in to the panel.

http://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/control-panels/premier-elite-series/

Texecom do not do wireless keypads yet, however, they do a Smartkey fob to arm/disarm/part arm remotely. See here

http://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/wireless-peripherals/premier-elite-series/

You will either need Comip or the new Comwifi expander to remotely communicate with the panel. The Comip is more expensive (over £100) and connects via Ethernet to your router. The comwifi costs nearly half that, I paid about £60. It does exactly the same job, just connects different. It's simple to fit and reasonably(ish) easy to configure. So far it has worked fine.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Which is easier to install, G2 or Texecom Premier Elite? Which would be better long term.

Regards

Can't comment on the Galaxy but if you choose Texecom it sounds like you need no more than either a 12-W or 12-W live panel (built in keypad). This covers the wired zones you need and gives the option to add wireless zones later if you wish. They are simple enough to install once you get your head around the programming side of things.

The Galaxy uses a separate keypad from the panel, so you can install/hide the panel somewhere and only have the keypad(s) in view. On the other hand that might mean more work/wiring for you, depending on what you currently have.

I also seem to remember reading that you can have remote fobs (instead of the simple "swipe" proxtags we have) so maybe you could hide the whole lot?

Like racey1979 (or the opposite really) I can only comment on the Galaxy but it's fairly easy to install once you get your head round the manual.

Thanks

Regards

Can't comment on the Galaxy but if you choose Texecom it sounds like you need no more than either a 12-W or 12-W live panel (built in keypad). This covers the wired zones you need and gives the option to add wireless zones later if you wish. They are simple enough to install once you get your head around the programming side of things.

Can I install comIP/WiFi with the 12-W?
Website says you can install on all elite panels but the 12-W doesnt explicitly say you can, but the 24/48 does :unsure:.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back