Replacement for Apollo Boiler 15/30b

Sponsored Links
Turning into Tony here , I remember a great time with an auld Glasgow lad who had a photographic memory when it came to part numbers, at the time all part numbers were 10 digit, we went into HRPC and asked for the 3 stats , young lad says we dont have them , mate says type this into your computer , off his head he rhymes off 10 digit number lad types it and and says CW inlet stat, he then does the 10 digit for HW stat, then does it again for CH stat, we are all super impressed and my mate says to the lad , see I know more about your stock than your computer does , lad pipes up , well you will know we dont feckin have any then, has to be one of my favorite memories of getting owned .

Pity you cannot explain why you consider it to be crap.

It's been explained to you many times over the years but you're too arrogant to realise.

Have you read this article

An "article" is not what everyone else calls it. Like Which (Which as we all know spittle be printed on absorbant paper), you have to pay to be featured, and their sample size is statistically insignificant.

Other than to select the right size of boiler the size of the house has little if anything to do with selecting the manufacturer of the boiler.

No one has mentioned a manufacturer apart from you, who has no useful experience.

Sponsored Links
No one has mentioned a manufacturer apart from you, who has no useful experience.

I mentioned that I have a J&S as a example of a lesser known brand of boiler. My point was that there are perfectly good boilers which sell by reputation and thus do not need to use advertising aimed at the general public. Nor do these companies need to enlist the services of installers to promote only their boilers.

While I only have limited "hands on" experience of boilers I do have mailing list contact with several people who are ( or were ) involved in the design and / or evaluation boilers and other heating system components.

Do people ever stop to actually think about what they've written?

"That boiler is almost as efficient as any other modern boiler apart from not having the 4-12% extra efficiency which a condensing boiler can achieve in some settings and having a permanent pilot light."

"While I only have limited "hands on" experience of boilers I do have mailing list contact with several people who are ( or were ) involved in the design and / or evaluation boilers and other heating system components."

Original Poster. If you go for a remote internet stat get one that monitors and reports on the boiler operation as well as simply space heating temperature and schedule.

Last edited:
Yes that was the feckers, havent seen one in 20 odd years
Well here is your golden chance,i look after 22 of these on a private estate,have a lock up on site with multiples of every part you will ever need and this is the last year i will be looking after these beasts. Fixed labour charge of £140 plus parts.All cash work.

Located next to heathrow airport.

Are you saying Which is not aimed at the general public?

Of course Which is aimed at the public and has to make a profit at the same time. That is why it charges manufacturers to be evaluated and then the results of only those evaluations are listed.

Between them Which and those installers who refuse to install anything other than their choice of boiler have swung the public towards having boilers with well known names to be installed. The lesser known companies may have seen there is an increasing need to get to the public directly ( ie via Which ) as more and more installers appear to be getting "tied" to a single manufacturer.

Last edited:
Of course Which is aimed at the public and has to make a profit at the same time. That is why it charges manufacturers to be evaluated and then the results of only those evaluations are listed.
What evidence do you have for this?

That would be because manufacturers have to pay Which to feature their boilers. Which is the biggest con going.

John, truly, Which? magazine is utter pants.

The reviews are not unbiased and the product range is incredibly limited.

I wouldn't say a "certain" product. But they won't recommend one that the manufacturer hasn't paid a LOT of money for the pleasure.

We could tell you.... but..

along with hearsay "evidence" from chatter on a mailing list inhabited by architects and similar professionals

Most manufacturers would probably love to be listed by Which Report.

But may not consider any "evaluation fee" to be worthwhile.

But it is unlikely anyone directly involved in those discussions would be willing to openly divulge what goes on. Particularly not on an internet forum.

Perhaps it should be wondered why Which only lists a very few big brands rather than the whole marketplace.

Hi
Should have mentioned its on a microbpre system so would that make any difference to the boiler replacents suggested ?

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back