Replacement Vehicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Middle lad decided last night that he wanted to keep his 21 yo car on the road for another year. We worked out it needs a potential £1K spending on it.

Tonight, it broke down!

We have decided to look at cars 8 years old and £5K max.

I know John Burnerman and others recommended Honda or Toyota. Is there any mileage (pun intended) in getting a car that parts are plentiful and cheap to get? Eg, an Astra K.

At the moment, the choice is Toyota Auris, but the Astra K looks good. However, I know nothing about the reliability of the Astra, in particular the engine. Whether it's an Eco-boom design or not....

Sponsored Links
Middle lad decided last night that he wanted to keep his 21 yo car on the road for another year. We worked out it needs a potential £1K spending on it.

Tonight, it broke down!

We have decided to look at cars 8 years old and £5K max.

I know John Burnerman and others recommended Honda or Toyota. Is there any mileage (pun intended) in getting a car that parts are plentiful and cheap to get? Eg, an Astra K.

At the moment, the choice is Toyota Auris, but the Astra K looks good. However, I know nothing about the reliability of the Astra, in particular the engine. Whether it's an Eco-boom design or not....

When I got back from Aus I was going to buy brand new. I did with my van but couldn't afford a car too. So next best thing is a Honda. Great cars, just have had window problems with all my Honda's

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20231204_204208_Google.jpg

Great car for a young lad.

Dacia duster.

You'll get a cracker for 5k.
Bombproof. Simple and versatile.

Nobody replied.
Maybe there is no answer to your question. If you can't DIY, no car will be reliable. The shops will live off the unreliability. Therefore, the car will always be unreliable. Makes no difference what you have.

Dacia duster.

You'll get a cracker for 5k.
Bombproof. Simple and versatile.
As you say you get what you pay for.

Dacia is just older, cheaper Renault. Roughly the equivalent of 5 to 10 year older Renault. OK if it suits your needs, but don't be misled by thinking it's Bombproof, it has all the Renault issues

I had a Honda CRV 16 years, from 2 years old. A crankshaft position sensor went intermittent. and the alternator had to be replaced.
That's all, other than service items. Clutch was getting a bit weak. Miss it still.

I had a Honda CRV 16 years, from 2 years old. A crankshaft position sensor went intermittent. and the alternator had to be replaced.
That's all, other than service items. Clutch was getting a bit weak. Miss it still.
My last 3 cars have been CRVs. Juicey, maybe a bit boring but certainly great motor cars

My lad got the breakdown company out last night. It was, as I suspected, the starter motor. The guy rotated it a bit, and it worked. He restarted the car several times and it was good. Obviously, it could fail again.

It started this morning and off he went to work.

A short while later, he rang me.

"Dad, the f.....ing rear window has just exploded!"

Must have been a stone.

What bad luck.

Sponsored Links
Back