Resetting motion detector lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into this bungalow about 3 years ago and removed bulbs from 6 motion detector lights dotted around the outside.
Now selling up, and have just replaced all the bulbs, but ..... all 6 lights now stay on all the time!
Obviously the problem can't be the sensitivity settings or the manual/auto setting as all of the lights are affected the same way.
They're all wired to the mains - no switch - so I've turned them off at the consumer unit and left them off for an hour or two. Just switched them back on and same problem.
Anybody have any idea how I can reset them, please?

Sponsored Links
I removed the bu .... oops, sorry LAMPS, 'cos I didn't want the house to be lit up like Blackpool every time a car went past!
Yes, I could have fiddled around with sensor directions, insulation tape etc., but I didn't. Do you know how to reset them now?

Sponsored Links
Left them on for about an hour. Seems strange at least one of them hasn't gone off. They each have individual sensors so it's a bit of a mystery!
Funnily enough, I've got a motion sensor porch light on the same circuit that's behaving perfectly! That one's been in use all the time, so it must be something to do with the others not being used for a long time.

Or all their timers are set to over an hour? Have you checked the time setting on at least one?

The guy who I bought the place from was an electrician, but I think he's skimped a bit on these fittings! I've just been out for a look (blinding out there!) and there's no sign of any adjustment screws or knobs - they must be pre-set.
I do remember that they used to go off after 5 minutes or so, certainly not an hour.

Go back when you have got some daylight, check the settings they is normally a time setting and a dusk till dawn setting, the latter generally has crescent moon and a sun icon on it. Turn that fully anti-clockwise and the time clockwise.

Yes. I'll leave it til morning. Have installed these before, but have never seen any that don't appear to have any setting controls. Will have another look.

Yes. I'll leave it til morning. Have installed these before, but have never seen any that don't appear to have any setting controls. Will have another look.
There could be internal settings if it is a PIR.
It could be factory set, it could be dusk til dawn, they could all be shot!
Do you have make model brand?

There could be an over-ride switch for them that is now switched on.
You know, that switch that you could never work out what it is for..…

Try switching on and off several times quickly. Not sure it will do any good but it worked for me on a single lamp that was playing up.

Tried everything, and they're still on! They're Newlec IS44 half lanterns, so I've emailed Newey & Eyre to see if they can suggest something.
If the sensor's gone it seems strange that all 6 have gone. I'll wait and see!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back