Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for some help with planning my new self build home CCTV system.
I am currently doing the first fix and I need to decide on the type of cable I should be fitting.
I already have loads of shotgun coax and cat5E cable so ideally would like to use one of these however if using cat6 or other has cost effective benefits then I would rather do that.
I wish to use either IP cameras or HDCVI cameras which I believe are a cheaper alternative.
In total I am probably going to be installing 6 to 8 cameras.
Any help much appreciated. (y)

Thanks.
Mark.

Sponsored Links
Firstly the import thing is decide what you want the CCTV to be capable of.

Hikvision do POC and POE Colour VU cameras up to 8MP.

POC means you don't need the power from the coax but you can use this if necessary.
The issue with POC at 8MP is frame rate recording (need a DVR capable of at lest 12 fps at 8MP (IP is 20 to 25 fps depending on model of 8MP camera), good quality cable and termination.

for POE you can use Cat5E without any major issue, good quality cable assumed.

use ipvm calculator to get an idea of what sort of image you can expect at what sort of distance based on putting cameras on your house (assumes you can see the property on google maps.

The question then comes down to budget vs best fit for what you want.

Thanks for that. :)
I have had a look on ipvm, which appears to be a great tool that I knew nothing about, and I think a 4MP would be fine.
The Dahua starlight ones seem to get decent reviews.
I would like cameras to be able to record image and sound during the day and the night if they detect movement.
I would also like to have an alert sent to my phone so I can view the cameras from a remote location.
It would be great to be able to turn and tilt the camera remotely but this depends on the expense of this type of camera, so maybe just 1 or 2 of this spec.
My budget is all about spending what I need to spend to get what I need but I reckon about £60 per camera.
For info I do have security lighting but this will be mounted away from and behind the camera's.

Further reading I think POE would be preferable so am I correct that this rules out the coax cable and leaves me with the choice of cat5e v cat6.
If I had to buy some cat6 I believe it would cost me approx. £100 for a 305m drum which will be more than enough but is it overkill compared to cat6?

Sponsored Links
You will be fine with Cat5e.

Cant comment on current models of Dauha and prices as don't use them, be sure to get genuine UK units and not grey imports.

as for ruling out coax cable, IP can be run over it with the the right equipment but as your doing this from scratch then there seems little point in fudging it afterwards.

Coax has only the one use, for cctv

Ethernet is flexible, can be used for broadband and other digital devices, is future proof.

Run Cat5e or Cat 6 from every room and the loft, garage etc to a central distribution point

No idea not a brand i have used but IP motorised varifocals sounds very cheap so I suggest you check the full specs and image quality of live view and recorded images.

The Hikvision Colorvu cameras are good I've got them on my house, I've only put them at ground floor level as they have a white light on them which allows the cameras to stay in colour 24/7. They are quite handy as it acts like a external light at night.

No idea not a brand i have used but IP motorised varifocals sounds very cheap so I suggest you check the full specs and image quality of live view and recorded images.
OK, thanks.

The Hikvision Colorvu cameras are good I've got them on my house, I've only put them at ground floor level as they have a white light on them which allows the cameras to stay in colour 24/7. They are quite handy as it acts like a external light at night.
Do you know what model number they are?

I tried one for a while. It was a magnet for moths and spider's webs which continuously triggered the movement sensor.

We now have sufficient outside lighting to allow the cameras to stay in daylight mode all night.

I tried one for a while. It was a magnet for moths and spider's webs which continuously triggered the movement sensor.

We now have sufficient outside lighting to allow the cameras to stay in daylight mode all night.
Hi Sally2000 and thanks for your response, however not sure as to which camera you are referring too?

These.

"The Hikvision Colorvu cameras are good I've got them on my house, I've only put them at ground floor level as they have a white light on them which allows the cameras to stay in colour 24/7. They are quite handy as it acts like a external light at night."

OK, thanks.

Do you know what model number they are?

I've got the 5MP DS-2CE72HFT-E cameras with a 8 channel Hikvision DS-7208HUHI-K2/P, you can also add IP cameras onto this recorder along with TVI cameras. I've put the link below for the camera. The only thing which I think could be better is the actual housing of the camera is plastic, I believe they do a new 8MP version which is in a metal housing

https://www.citysecuritysystems.co.uk/hikvision-DS-2CE72HFT-E

These.

"The Hikvision Colorvu cameras are good I've got them on my house, I've only put them at ground floor level as they have a white light on them which allows the cameras to stay in colour 24/7. They are quite handy as it acts like a external light at night."
Thanks for that.

I've got the 5MP DS-2CE72HFT-E cameras with a 8 channel Hikvision DS-7208HUHI-K2/P, you can also add IP cameras onto this recorder along with TVI cameras. I've put the link below for the camera. The only thing which I think could be better is the actual housing of the camera is plastic, I believe they do a new 8MP version which is in a metal housing

https://www.citysecuritysystems.co.uk/hikvision-DS-2CE72HFT-E
Thanks but I think these are POC Coax cameras and I want ones that will run of cat5e cable instead, POE.

I did start to look into all the various things to look for in a camera on ipcam but it's a bit overwhelming, certainly a lot more complicated than I thought it was going to be. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back