Reverse gear problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.
My wife bought a ford zetec about 3 weeks ago and we are having trouble getting reverse gear when cold.It seems ok when it has been driven for a while but is annoying when cold.It is anything to worry about or should we take it back ?
It is a 2006 model with 18000 miles and was not cheap at £6500.

Sponsored Links
Cold weather makes the gear oil thick which can make it difficult to engage gears, especially reverse as it doesn't have synchromesh, try letting the clutch in and the declutching just before you try and engage reverse, that will hopefully move the gears to a position where they will engage. It wouldn't do any harm to mention it to the dealer in case there is a known problem.

If its under warranty then YES take it back.

Last thing you want is to struggle on with it and find it fail's completly a day after the warranty runs out.

Mind you may just need the gear oil changing or maybe even just topping up.

Sponsored Links
The Zetec motors have cable linkages which normally give excellent gear selection. The adjustment of these linkages is critical so if you are concerned then have a Ford agent check this out.
Presumably the gear doesn't crunch when engaging...if it did this would indicate a clutch issue.
Gearbox additives - in my opinion - are great for bearings but can give synchromesh problems as they are just too slippy.
If your car normally has SAE 80/90 EP oil in the box, no harm would come from using a lighter SAE 75 EP fully synthetic brand of lube.
Its also a good move to replace the gearbox oil at around 50k miles - if you are planning to keep the car for a good while.
John :)

The Zetec motors have cable linkages which normally give excellent gear selection. The adjustment of these linkages is critical so if you are concerned then have a Ford agent check this out.

Thanks for thr reply.
Could i ask if it could be the linkage if it happens only when the car is cold ?
We can get reverse after driving for a while but not so easy when cold.I even put the car in reverse before starting the engine now.
Thanks

It does seem like the linkage is ok, but if you prefer to engage reverse before a cold start this can't be right. Is there a crunch when the gear does go in? This implies a clutch issue, i.e not releasing fully if there is.
This isn't a usual thing with Fords, or any other make.

avonmouth wrote....I even put the car in reverse before starting the engine now.

Putting the car in any gear before starting the engine, is extremely dangerous.
This is why automatics have inhibited starting, on all positions except park and neutral.

Wotan

I'm sorry if i've not grabbed what the others are saying - but you should never attempt to start an engine, with the clutch engaged.

This is bad practice. Full stop.

Hi.
I took the car back and left it with them.I then get a tel call to say it's all fixed.We have adjusted the linkage and changed the oil.
I went to pick the car up and it clunked into reverse and made an awful sound with the mechanic listening and scratching his head ??
I have left it with them but how many chances do i give them before rejecting the car ?
Thanks

If its crunching then the clutch isn't fully disengaging.
The linkage adjustment is critical to prevent selector fork problems in the gearbox, which is why someone competent and Ford experienced should do it.

Sponsored Links
Back