Rip-off or great value?

My son had a similar replacement a year ago and that was 2500. In most cases, in Surrey. The flue has to change. In our case, the flue hole was too low anyway so had to be bricked up. Modern boilers seem to have the flue out the top with an elbow out the wall whereas the old boiler the flue came out the back of the boiler so lower.

Sponsored Links
It’s insanely expensive. Will take him one day to swap over but all the tradesmen here will come saying they have to get to the job and pay for kit etc so they justify a 1k a day job as being normal!!

just like my hubby needs to get to the office for 9am and buy a suit and everything else.

Makes IT contractors on 600 a day look cheap

Do IT contractors have a lot of overheads ? No, they don’t.

People are always jealous of gas engineers. It’s a cross we have to bear. Basically we are worth every penny

But please carry on giving advise on jobs you can’t do or haven’t seen.

It’s insanely expensive. Will take him one day to swap over but all the tradesmen here will come saying they have to get to the job and pay for kit etc so they justify a 1k a day job as being normal!!

just like my hubby needs to get to the office for 9am and buy a suit and everything else.

Makes IT contractors on 600 a day look cheap

So I assume your husband works 5 days a week and lets say has 8 weeks off per year (mainly holiday, possibly the odd sick day)

So on those assumptions he earns £132k gross, less his expenses (which won't be much)

The rip off boiler man won't be anywhere near that figure per year, even if regularly robbing people at 1k at day.

Also if you worked out the two real hourly rates of the two jobs, I assure you IT contractors will come out on top.

So I assume your husband works 5 days a week and lets say has 8 weeks off per year (mainly holiday, possibly the odd sick day)

So on those assumptions he earns £132k gross, less his expenses (which won't be much)

The rip off boiler man won't be anywhere near that figure per year, even if regularly robbing people at 1k at day.

Also if you worked out the two real hourly rates of the two jobs, I assure you IT contractors will come out on top.

husband can be kicked out any day if he does not perform. Sadly not a government job you know

he has plenty of equipment and training costs and actually went to university for four years (yes paying to learn without an income).

And finally he is up at 7am to commute to the office returning at 8pm with no break. Sometimes weekend work and evening calls with Asia and New York.

So yes he works damn hard.

Gas engineers are tradesmen. It is the boiler manufacturers who deserve the real credit for creating a working boiler. Not the gasman who hooks up the pipes and puts a diagnostic test in it.

But really what’s the point In arguing. Each time I bring this up tradesmen moan about how they have to travel to job buy lunch have a van as if other employees including secretary’s don’t have to pay for lunch clothes or committing costs

but really go ahead and justify why 1k a day for a man and a boy on minimum wage is justifiable

Sponsored Links
The rate is dictated by the market, as is your husbands rate. When will people understand - the man doing the boiler does not earn 1k a day! So your husbands £600pd, what do his employers charge that out at?

The amount of trades earning more than 100k would be tiny, don't believe everything you hear. I expect you're another one who thinks an experienced self employed gas man should be charging 200 a day.

If your husband wants an apprenticeship then I'm happy to give him a start at £4.15ph in first year rising to £8.72 second year.

I'm under no illusion that I earn good money, but it's a lot less than everyone thinks

Poor guy must be under a helluva lot ofstress having to perform at home or he is out, must be hard for him ;)

Surely it must have been seen that Chloe comes on here to wind people up.

Just have a quick look at her (assuming it is a her) previous form and it'll be seen she's strung people along, taking their time and giving nothing in return except continuing to throw bait out, waiting for someone to get hooked.

An IT guy that hasn't been working from home since March? I smell a rat....
Not all IT guys can work from home.

Some have to stay in the office/datacenter because the information they are working on is so secure.

Not all IT guys can work from home.

Some have to stay in the office/datacenter because the information they are working on is so secure.
Not true, my mate is an IT consultant for a very serious military mob and has been working from home since March , his encyption procedurs is massive, when he showed me it , so impressive, how do you think the military work when at sea or over seas on enemy territory ?

I can get a gas safe engineer to do a gas safety certificate in central London for £37 plus vat totalling £45 via openrent. That means the guy has to drive to my house etc

one would reason that the engineer is getting even less then that given openrent need to make a small percentage to stay in business

Yet somehow people here are advocating that a straight swap combo boiler which would take a few hours at most justifys a 1k a day rate for reasons that still remain a a mystery as myself and the previous poster highlighted.
So please perhaps you can educate me on how long a straight swap with a flush takes and why 1k labour is totally fine.

Of course I expect people to say “it depends” almost as if I was speaking to a law barrister

You've asked a bunch of questions, ChloeRadshaw1, and people have spent quite a lot of time providing answers.

It's a forum, that's what happens.

But, whilst you've absorbed a bunch of helpful and well intentioned information that has been of assistance to you, you've now decided you didn't like other aspects of what you've been told so you now have a grievance to air and are happy to slag off the people who's help you initially lapped up with gratitude.

If I were one of those individuals I'd ignore you in the knowledge that you'd lose interest in keep returning here with, what is now clear, the avowed intention of wasting people's time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back