Royal Yacht

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can think of more worthy things to spend 200 mill on....

Sponsored Links
No don't be silly, kids aren't really starving their parents just can't be bothered to feed them.......

Sponsored Links
It'll create £200 million pounds of trade.

I gravely doubt that.

When contracts are signed at summits or in luxury palaces, it is usually just a PR exercise, and the specification and negotiation has been done over a long period by hard-working drones who never get any recognition.

i we assume 10% profits on trade thats 10 times the amount off trade off course that wont pay for the ship as most goes to shareholders ???

I gravely doubt that.

When contracts are signed at summits or in luxury palaces, it is usually just a PR exercise, and the specification and negotiation has been done over a long period by hard-working drones who never get any recognition.
We're all wrong really, it'll cost us far more than £200 million, so we'll be generating twice or four times that much business for the foreign yards that build it.

Sorry, did people forget that Boris agreed that we couldn't specify local business for non defense purposes? The bid has to be available for foreign firms and we can't force it to go local.

We're all wrong really, it'll cost us far more than £200 million, so we'll be generating twice or four times that much business for the foreign yards that build it.

Sorry, did people forget that Boris agreed that we couldn't specify local business for non defense purposes? The bid has to be available for foreign firms and we can't force it to go local.

Wasn't that the whole point of brexit?

but it will hopefully help generate trade with the rest of the world, put us back on the international stage
'back on the international stage'?

Didn't brexiteers tell us that the UK was a world power and would do the 'easiest deals in history'?

I didn't hear any mention of a vanity boat...

Mind you those who believed in slogans on a bus will probably believe in anything beginning with 'B'...

B*llshit, B*llox, Borisconi, Boat etc etc

Didn't brexiteers tell us that the UK was a world power and would do the 'easiest deals in history'?

yes, but they also told us we would stay in the Single Market; and we would take the Norwegian Option; and we would be like Switzerland; and we would go for no-deal WTO terms.

So they never agreed among themselves what they wanted, and voted to let johson do whatever he fancied.

Obviously it was a mistake to believe assurances from people with contradictory claims, but that Brexers for you.

Me too, but it will hopefully help generate trade with the rest of the world, put us back on the international stage - so may pay for itself eventually.
It'll create £200 million pounds of trade.
Which countries either wont do deals with countries that dont have yachts, or give better deals to ones which do?

Which foreign businesses either wont do deals with businesses from countries that dont have yachts, or buy more from/pay higher prices to ones from countries which do?

If so Boris cocked it up yet again, because we signed up to state aid rules that block us from mandating it must be built in the UK.

Nothing to do with state aid or the EU. It's a public procurement deal we signed last year with the WTO which gives the UK access to 1.3 trillion in overseas Govt procurement.
It excludes defence contracts and as this ship is going to be managed and crewed by the Navy, that could potentially be used as a loophole, alternatively they could base the hull design on a type 32 destroyer.

Nobody knows the outcome yet so I wouldn't waste to much time howling at the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back