Impressive, but an extra expense and unnecessary in a domestic context.

As the beam will be asymmetrically loaded with respect to the shear centre, there will obviously be a bending moment and therefore torsion induced in the I-beam, which needs to be allowed for on longer spans.
But those stiffeners would do little if anything to reduce the torsion-effect. Theoretically they will reduce deflection of the plate in the xx axis, but for a 6mm plate, 100mm welds every 300mm would be adequate.
Whoah there. You're not being paid by the technical word. :rolleyes:

The weight is on the front edge. Bits of metal stop it bending. (y)

Sponsored Links
313B138A-80F3-4D63-959E-BF3D9E87DF90.jpeg
An update guys:

I have taken one of the RSJs back to weld an underplate to it and the steels guy said stiffeners will stick out on my wall so I can’t use that. I contacted the BCO prior to confirm they are happy with the underplate, the BCO said okay, but either 6mm plate with stiffeners or 10mm without, so I had to go for the 10mm without stiffeners.

Question: why would the stiffener stick out?

Last edited:
Builder doesn’t agree, with 10mm plate, says it will increase brick joints massively and not practical, even the 6mm. So I’m going for RSJ for inner leaf and IG C lintel for outer leaf, gauge is 3.2mm and 225mm high. Both not bolted.

Sponsored Links
Lol, it's almost like someone else has had this problem and developed an off the shelf product to solve it.

Thanks guys. You can tell I had fun being bounced around by the BCO, builder and the steel fabricator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back