RSJ Spacers - Are they needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Any advice..

SE specified bolts and spacers necessary. Builder has added bolts but not spacers. The work is up and he is saying spacers are not needed and is pushing back (basically refusing) on making changes now.

The beams sit right next to each other - no space in between - is it even necessary to have the spacers?

Hopefully someone can let me know what the purpose of the spacer is? is it purely to ensure the beams do not move apart?

I spoke to SE and he has advised if spacers not used and beams are not coming down I can weld a steal plate to the underside to tie the beams together.

Thanks in advance

John

Sponsored Links
If the beam flanges are butted then no spacers are necessary. The bolts and bar keep the beams together, spacers stop the beams being closed in as they tighten. If they are butted (which they often are with large section beam and small cavity), no need for spacers.

Tube spacers perform the function of load-sharing by binding the beams together so that they act as one beam. So if specified, are required even if the flanges are together.

Your builder should follow the engineer's specification, not just do what they like.

Any additional work is at the builders cost and this should be rectified before work proceeds and the beams loaded.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dereekoo,

The only info I can find in the calcs is the below.
Sections to be bolted together with tube spacers or suitable alternative connection at max 1.5m c/s

The beam is 5.1m, the build has added 6 bolts, but no spacers. Would the additional bolts make up for the lack of spacers?

@woody, noseall, thanks for your responses. Just to note, the builder has loaded the beams and left site. I've tried to call him but he is not willing to address.
If no spacers any idea of remedial work that can be done. Will also ask SE but if you have any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

First, don't complete payment until this is sorted out.

Second, refer to your engineer for options.

Even if it is determined that no further work is needed, you do have an inferior job to what you specified and was quoted for, so in that context and acceptance of the resultant risk, then you would normally negotiate a reduction in the cost.

Can never understand why a tube bolted between two webs with presumably a slightly tensioned bolt can transfer downward forces across from one beam to another with any great effect as basically you are expecting the frictional force of the tube/web interface to do the work. Perhaps with a fairly large diameter tube to prevent any bending and a specified tensioned bolt to maintain frictional contact may have some transfer capabilities but I remain unconvinced. Please ask your SE for his reasons/calculations for doing so and report back. Perhaps its similar to the belief that if you put loads of noggins in a floor it reduces deflection as opposed to a strategic placed line so that the joists remain in the vertical plane for maximum deflection resistance. ?

Yes, spacers between steel beams create load sharing and noggins deal with deflection by the same principle. Not beliefs, facts.

And for others reading, if you go to good steel suppliers, they weld the spacers on to one beam around the holes they drill for the bolts. Prevents messing about with them, or dodgy builders not fitting them.

Yes, spacers between steel beams create load sharing and noggins deal with deflection by the same principle. Not beliefs, facts.

And for others reading, if you go to good steel suppliers, they weld the spacers on to one beam around the holes they drill for the bolts. Prevents messing about with them, or dodgy builders not fitting them.
So if I have a beam to support a wall but it will only take half the load if I put a similar beam to one side of the wall and connect across with a few bolts and tubes then half the load will be transferred across, a bit like sistering joists?

Thanks for all the info Woody,
Would bolts also assist load sharing without spacers? Or are spacers a necessary component?

Unfortunately builder has already been paid. Novice mistake as this was my first house, I will know much better next time round.

Have emailed SE and am waiting to hear back.

If helpful pictures added.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 206
If the beams are butting together then the tube spacers become redundant or even loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back