Scam popups!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last few weeks I have been plagued with popups for updating Java and Flashplayer.

If downloaded it includes a Trojan.

I also get regular Microsoft scams asking me to call 0800 404 8457 and to pay them money.

My Free AVG cannot find anything wrong!

Am I just unlucky being targeted or is something likely to be wrong?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Wos, 60 views and no suggestions.

I found an IE setting page relating to popups and it was set at the "medium" position.

I changed it to the "block all" !

But it has not stopped those problem ones. Currently listening to the scam Microsoft talking to me. Difficult to turn off without refreshing !

Sounds like malware and AVG wont find malware. In fact AVG has great difficulty with viri these days IMO. Try Malwarebytes, it's a free download although you can buy it. You get a full trial for 14 days, I think it is, then your trial runs out and it reverts to the limited free version. Run and delete everything it picks up. No guarantees but it works for me.

I can second that about Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

You could also try Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit too. They're both free!

Sponsored Links
Why don't I find anything about the scam Microsoft number? It comes up as unknown.

And old friend was actually taken in by it and gave them his credit card details. But he came to a few minutes later and cancelled the card before they had taken any money.

Why are they not being criminalized?

The scam number you are asked to phone with your credit card details is 0800 404 8457

But my computer will not give any search response.

But I have not tried it from any other computer. Perhaps malware has blocked my machine from any search results?

It certainly rings and with a foreign ring tone!

A search will only work if there's something to find, and as the scammers don't advertise themselves, the number won't be there until you post it. It picks it up now that its on this site, and google reports it as a scam number. But the scam isn't a Microsoft one, they are just using that as a means to appear legitimate. I've had calls from Openreach, Microsoft, and various survey companies, and I just laugh at them.

AVG is a reasonable free system, but you might need to upgrade it to the paid system, otherwise, use malwarebytes, but that'll then give you annoying messages and blocks on legitimate sites. Flashplayer is very hackable, so shouldn't be used, but if you do need to update any of these programs, then go to the official site, and be careful not to allow any third party software like Macafee to be downloaded at the same time.

You need to delete your browser history, and all cookies, as this is probably what's prompting the popups.

I have downloaded the Malwarebytes free trial. It discovered 2570 PUPs none of which AOL Free shows up!

Now I get far less of them and Malwarebytes blocks a few programs every day but it seems not all.

One popping up occasionally is Weevah2.top but perhaps that is because its still embedded in my computer but not visible to AVG for some reason even though it is a very well known virus!

Looks like I will be subscribing to Malwarebytes next week!

It'll be interesting getting others comments, but having used Malwarebytes (free version) Kapersky, and Norton, I found Malware reported loads of site as dodgy, even when they weren't. I don't like Kapersky as it's not very user friendly, and you need to upgrade on the very last day, otherwise you lose the unused days; but whilst Norton is the easiest to use, I'm not convinced it catches all the viruses.

I'm not sure about the Weevah2 virus, but you sometimes need to boot from a clean CD, and then run the AV software, that way, the virus isn't running in memory, and can be dealt with.

Let us know how you get on with the paid copy of Malware Agile

Sponsored Links
Back