Screw keeps spinning

It was very common for a DIYer to remove a surface mounted pattress, and then flush it into the wall, when decorating. ....... pvc plaster depth boxes for flush work were available (probably 50 years ago!) but not seen them easily obtainable.
I'm not sure exactly what sort of boxes you're talking about there, but 16mm surface-mounted boxes are obviously still widely available (and could, I suppose, be sunk into plaster if one really wanted to).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It was very common for a DIYer to remove a surface mounted pattress, and then flush it into the wall, when decorating. ....... pvc plaster depth boxes for flush work were available (probably 50 years ago!) but not seen them easily obtainable.
I'm not sure exactly what sort of boxes you're talking about there, but 16mm surface-mounted boxes are obviously still widely available (and could, I suppose, be sunk into plaster if one really wanted to).

Kind Regards, John

The plastic inserts are for Decoration/ Aesphetics, not really designed to protect from unearthed Exposed conductive parts

Kind Regards, John
They can, but as they are normally the size of the switch it would be hard I quess to get a nice finished edge, best PVC box maybe, to flush in would likely be a Dado trunking box

Sponsored Links
The plastic inserts are for Decoration/ Aesphetics, not really designed to protect from unearthed Exposed conductive parts
True, but if one wants to be pragmatic .... if the screw is recessed enough to enable a cap/insert to be fitted, then the chances of anyone ever managing to touch one of the screw heads must be very small - and the probability of anyone doing that at the same time that the backbox was 'live' is incredibly small ... and the probability of that happening when there is also some bit of plastic (even if intended for decorative/aesthetic purposes) in the way is ....... (I'm thinking about people being struck by lightning!) !

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John
16mm surface-mounted boxes CAN be sunk into the plaster - but you can't plaster up to them nicely and the switch faceplate can't hide the imperfections.

A flush box is smaller, so you can plaster round it, and the faceplate sits on the plaster and should be a perfect fit.

EDIT. Were you referring to the PVC flush boxes I mentioned that are not available easily now?

These were like the metal flush knockout boxes we know, only plastic. They were often used in purpose built flats in conjunction with round conduit, which had made the switch from metal to plastic.

These boxes often experienced the exact problem described by the op, and I have often had to find a way of overcoming this problem - usually changing for a metal one or fixing a surface pattress over it.

Fortunately these were fairly short-lived, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Even using a plastic surface pattress, the screws could become live - so is using an unearthed metal box with metal lugs really any different?

EDIT. Were you referring to the PVC flush boxes I mentioned that are not available easily now? ... These were like the metal flush knockout boxes we know, only plastic. They were often used in purpose built flats in conjunction with round conduit, which had made the switch from metal to plastic.
No, as I said, I wasn't aware of the PVC boxes you referred to.

Kind Regards, John

Even using a plastic surface pattress, the screws could become live - so is using an unearthed metal box with metal lugs really any different?
I would have thought that one would have to scrape the barrel of 'incredibly unlikely scenarios' very deeply to think of a way in which the screws of a plastic surface box could 'become live', wouldn't one?

Kind Regards, John

I would have thought that one would have to scrape the barrel of 'incredibly unlikely scenarios' very deeply to think of a way in which the screws of a plastic surface box could 'become live', wouldn't one?

Kind Regards, John
Pinching a wire when screwing the screw in?

Is that sufficient for compliance, with a non-earthed metal back box?
Its one way of getting around the risk of shock, they need a tool to remove them, ok its not the original purpose but better than nothing

Its one way of getting around the risk of shock, they need a tool to remove them, ok its not the original purpose but better than nothing
Indeed - and, as I said, the probability of managing to touch a screw head of such an accessory, let alone the probability of managing to touch a screw head whilst the backbox is 'live', is so incredibly small that the "better than nothing" addition of a plastic insert/cap is, in common sense terms, surely 'enough'?

Kind Regards, John

I have finally managed to yank off the screw. And, in the process, I have damaged my switch. So, I have to get a new one.
What backing box should I get from Screwfix or Toolstation chaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back