Seen any swallows recently ?

Sponsored Links
No. Ive seen a steady decline. Non existant now. I put it down to age.

Used to see a lot of swallows and house marins when I lived in Yorkshire, but haven't seen either since back down South.
We're steadily destroying nature.

Not seen them in my garden, but there are loads of other birds and plenty of bats of an evening.

D7C2EFFC-D937-40B1-B350-BE5E9D9442C3.png

Sponsored Links
Possibly a bit far north for this impromptu survey ?

No Swallows
No Bats.
Yet?

General garden birds, in the back yard are, Starlings, One pair of Blackbirds, one pair of blue tits, one pair of Robbins, A load os Sparrows generally squabbling and noisy, have heard a Collar Dove down the street.

In front of the house, a different scene a Beach with lots of different Sea Gulls, an odd visiting Curlew [generally in the winter, if the tide is on the Ebb]. Sandpipers in groups, at sea lots of Gannet [they nest on the island some 28 miles away] either hunting but more spectacularly actually fishing, a meter plus splash goes into the air when they dive. Tern doing the same thing but not such a splash, there is a group of swans, between 12 and 25 or so, they appear to overnight in a paddling pond on the other side of the bay? Cormorants popping up and down, these birds appear to travel a long way under water, there are several Shell Duck in about a month there will be ducklings being taught how to feed on the just covered rocks in front of the house.

The opportunist visitor is a lone Heron who visits if the tide is right at night, it appears to use the street lights to extend its ability to hunt for food at night.

In general, rear garden birds declining, Sea based birds doing OK?

Ken

It's
We do seem to have an abundance of sparrows, but the main birds now seem to be magpies and pigeons and parakeets, all vermin.(not sparrows)

It's nice to see Sparrows on the up. I've seen them what ever part of the world I've been to. Lovley birds

We get a load of sparrows too, tbh I've never not seen a lot of them even though they were on the endangered list once? In our tiny garden we have a lot of chaffinches, blackbirds, robins, collared doves, starlings (plenty on and off), blue and great tits, 2 squirrels and 2 lovely big hedgehogs who've been coming back to the garden for the last 4 years every summer for some grub.

The blackbirds have also been in the garden for a few years and this time of year when they are feeding their young, they sing or chirrup in the garden for food, on the fence by the back door. If I don't get up quick enough, and the back door is open, the male blackbird comes into the kitchen, then walks through the house until it finds me in the lounge. Then flies out and waits by the back door for mealworm & suet. When the young have grown, they go back to keeping a respectful distance! :)

Heard a cuckoo on Friday, had goldfinches, blackies, sparrows, greenfinch, starlings, sparrow hawk in garden this week

Used to see a lot of swallows and house marins when I lived in Yorkshire, but haven't seen either since back down South.
We're steadily destroying nature.

Yes, we are. There are too many people on the earth.

We do seem to have an abundance of sparrows, but the main birds now seem to be magpies and pigeons and parakeets, all vermin.(not sparrows)

As a child I was woken up in the morning by masses of sparrows and other little birds in the hedgerow. Now the little birds have gone and the same hedgerow is home to mainly magpies, crows and the odd wood pigeon. These bigger birds have edged the little 'uns out. I love the bigger birds too, but they are bullies. The people who managed these things have gone too. Farmers shoot crows and magpies - as has been controversial recently with Chris Packham and his emotional views. I am all for thinning-out populations where necessary.

We get the odd bat in the height of summer - but they move and swoop so fast that I cannot see them to appreciate them - they are just a blur to my old eyes.

Blackbirds are an absolute joy - Paul McCartney knew this. It's one of life's greatest pleasures to hear them singing.

What a fantastic sight a "murmuration" is (the cloud-like appearance of a mass of thousands of birds moving and swooping together). Still seen in autumn.

In Manchester recently I saw a heron on the River Irwell, under the railway bridge near the Arena. I don't know a more dirty and unnatural setting for a wild animal to be; but there it was. Nature survives - it was there before us and it will be there after us.

Sponsored Links
Back