How much energy can YOU save?

Some of the geothermal heat pump stuff looks interesting, but due to installation requirements I guess it would only be feasible for a limited number of houses. I've only briefly scanned the figures though.

Sponsored Links
Really? Have you done the sums?

yep, even spoke to a guy from one of the companies. One of our neighbours has the solar panels and he regrets it. Such a shame, but as a guy siad on the radio its still relativley early in the adaption of the technology to the domestic market.

Id willingly do anything to cut our fuel bills

Thermo said:
Really? Have you done the sums?

yep, even spoke to a guy from one of the companies. One of our neighbours has the solar panels and he regrets it. Such a shame, but as a guy siad on the radio its still relativley early in the adaption of the technology to the domestic market.

I suppose you have to think about the capital cost of the installation and compare that to the savings that you could realistically achieve. This is why I like the look of geothermal, in that the heat output obtained is constant and predicable, regarless of the weather or season. They also probably last longer than a wind turbines / solar panels / water turbines with a life expectancy of around 50 years with minimal maintenence.

Sponsored Links
we had a quote for solar panels a couple of years ago. It was a hard sell, using the same tactics as double-glazing salespeople employ. Financially it was a complete rip-off once you did your own sums instead of relying on their figures. Apparently you can make reasonably efficient panels yourself for little outlay, but you would obviously need to fit them and plumb in. I would be happy to have a wind-turbine, I would be interested to know how much noise they make.

Another ill thought through loony scheme.

It's thoughtless to write off energy-saving innovation in this way. Look at the projections of the problems that global warming is going to cause. Look at what is happening around you already. Drought in Africa, crops failing in USA, melting glaciers, warming seas....London will be underwater in 100 years and there will be massive numbers of immigrants from other parts of the world knocking on the doors of any nations still able to support themselves. We need to cut carbon emmissions and wind energy is one of the best alternatives at the moment.

I have a friend up at St Just has one, it makes a lot of racket and they've had complaints, there is no way in hell that you could mount one on the roof.
I'd like one, we have loads of space and no neighbours but planning would be difficult as we're in an ''area of outstanding natural beauty''

Thermo said:

Put a jumper on.

I grew up in a house with little insulation and no central heating. This was back in the days when we had snow and the windows were covered in ice patterns every winter morning.
Then we walked to school in short trousers and a blazer.

You are just too soft. You and the whole of your generation.

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

next... :D ;)

Igorian said:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

ONLY 26 !!!! :eek:

Put a jumper on.

I grew up in a house with little insulation and no central heating. This was back in the days when we had snow and the windows were covered in ice patterns every winter morning.
Then we walked to school in short trousers and a blazer.

You are just too soft. You and the whole of your generation.

i do

so did i

no im not

stop talking out of your backside again!

You lot that think you are going to get useful wind power had better wake up. The b&q generator is specified as giving a 1.5kW output :D. Unfortunately this is at 28mph :( If we could even get reliable wind at a third of this, say 9mph (this is just under a third) you would have the pleasure of getting 1/10 of the full rate output. Around 150W. Not too good is it.

Next consider the claim of 50% saving on electricity. Optimistically you could expect 5% given the ridiculous wind requirement, so 5% 0f the average bill of £650 would be £32.50. Consider your purchase price of £1495 and it will take 46 years to recover.

So you don't mind this as you will get benefit by being able to sell electricity to the grid. Oh dear, if you want to do this you have to forego being able to use it for backup power. This is because to sell to the grid, it has to be synchronised with the grid frequency and phase. So if you get a power cut, the wind genny is turned off. Next, (doesn't this go on?) The generator must have at least 6.7mph wind just to get it running, and the generator will not give power unless it is running for several minutes, so it doesn't work on gusts, and if you get a sudden lull, the time cycle starts all over again.

Aint this just brill, don't forget, Blair look-alike Cameron is trying to get one on his house. What do you think he knows about engineering? (Ans = "not a lot") At least Prescott understood mass x velocity is proportional to force, and the angle of dangle = the power of the urge.

Anyone who stays awake through the winter will have noticed some of the coldest periods can last for weeks, with very little wind as we sit under a massive high pressure system. Mmmm, is there really any useful power in the wind, except if you light the gas produced by eating beans?

Igorian said:

one room, ONE ROOM, you were lucky to have one room, we lived in a shoe box in middle of T' road, ate gravel for breakfast, got up at 5 '0clock in T' mornin went to work for 19 hours a day all for ha'penny a month.

but back to wind power,

you can get a mini tubine for caravans stick an inverter on it ........

even these things cost over 1K

oh and the giant ones on wind farms apart from noise, a was wathing on tv a nothe prog about them, guess what slows them down?

Bugs and flies stuck on the blades, i kid you not, because they are so big they hit so many flies they add weight to the blades, the solution was to squirt the blades with water every revolution (but i think it was 1 blade per rev, then next rev, differnt blade)

and i think it was bugs etc

Sponsored Links
Back