Separate switch for TD and washing machine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Currently my tumble dryer and washing machine are plugged into a socket below the worktop, which is slightly awkward to access. My idea is to put some sort of switch above the worktop to turn the below socket off when not in use. Can this be done and what type of switch would I need? An explanation and drawing would be appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

Sponsored Links
It depends on how the WM/TD socket is wired.

If it is on a ring circuit then, depending on the route of the cable, only with considerable rewiring.

If it is a spur from a socket above it, then not so bad. Is there a socket directly above?

Why do you want to switch them off?

Thanks

There is a socket directly above yes.

Mainly safety when not in use, especially the td.

If the socket is a single one then switch off the power, undo the socket and see if there are three cables connected to it with one looking like it goes down to the WM/TD.

If so then you can just swap it for a "20 Amp Double Pole Switch".
https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=20A DP switch

If the socket is a double one, then there is no easy swap.

You will need a wider "dual" (not double) back box which will accept a single socket and the switch (but some of the wires might not reach), or
fit single back box for the switch and fill in the rest of the wall, or
fit a new back box for the switch next to or below the double socket.

Is it all nicely tiled?

Sponsored Links
Years ago there was no auto switch off if the washing machine started to wander, and a loose weight could result in them wandering with great force, so fitting an isolator that you could reach to stop it smashing up the kitchen was important, you would not dare touch the washing machine, and tumble driers made it like living in Wales where you came home to a real fire. The sons of Glyndwr, now it is the name of a University not the free welsh army. And one hopes like extensive fire insurance on holiday homes, isolators above the counter are no longer required, not sure if Hotpoint have cure the problem, but guess they have or they would be out of business, they were made in Wales wonder if there was a connection?

Back