Shame to spoil posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are many posts that get fragmented due to disagreements, its a pity when it may have been a well posted topic.
Its all about saying 'Im right'. None of us like being wrong, thats why the big fella throws the punch & the fights start. (Maybe not literally)
Maybe we need an arbitration section & all off squabbles are side tracked there.

Sponsored Links
Hang on - many threads are on topics that are not objective, but subjective, ie there is no right or wrong answer, but a wide range of opinion.

As an example, in the electrics forum you get heated disagreements, especially where the regs are under discussion. Even a book of written rules can be interpreted differently by different folk.

Just like the bible in fact, but I don't want to start anything...... :D

People posting here come from different age brackets and different up-bringings to name but two.

It goes without saying that there is always going to be a broad spectrum of responses to any one subject - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

And just because some may disagree with others, there need not be bad feeling. It's not about right and wrong, and there is certainly no need for fisticuffs, written or otherwise.

I'm not saying we should all go around meekly proclaiming "You've got your POV and I have mine..."

It is perfectly possible to have a hearty discussion without it getting personal. Sure, you can get angry and have a heated discussion, but it need never get personal. And if you feel like a fight just because someone disagrees with your POV, then there's something wrong.

The whole point about posting is that someone starts off with a story based on their opinion and others follow with theirs. There will inevitably be "squabbles" - maybe the answer is not to rise to any personal abuse that may be thrown around and ignore the poster who is doing the throwing.

That way we can all have a full and rounded talk without it degenerating into a brawl.

Don't forget, if you are the subject of abuse, you can alert the moderators.

MOD

exept you dont usually have to ;)

I suppose it must be confusing for a new contributor to come on, ask a fairly benign question, and then sit back and watch a large argument on, oh, lets say Part P unfold before their eyes......

Then again, there seems to be a new breed of new contributor that comes on and then gets shirty if no-one answers their question within ten minutes or veers even slightly off-topic too.....

Sponsored Links
I do like a good debate myself - anything from licensing from laws to sex education (don't get me started) will do - but this thread just made me think. I was a student for nine years in total during which time the students' union held regular debates. The strange thing is that the only one I ever went to was the annual Agrics v Engineers debate - and that was just an excuse for a booze-up afterwards.

There's only one possible explanation for this. I must be getting old!

felix said:
.......anything from sex education (don't get me started)...........the students' union held regular debates.

Ever had a mass debate?? :LOL:

securespark

Ever had a mass debate??

Mmm I thought that was witty, then locked at the time of the post & thought what made that cumm to mind. :LOL: :LOL:

As G. Michael once said..." If you get enough of your buddies from the precinct down here, We can have a Mass Dwebate" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back