Share with care - cycling on the pavement.

B

Big Tone

In the past, I have rubbed one or two people up the wrong way for admitting to cycling on a path where the road is too dangerous.

If there is no one on the path, I cannot see a problem.  If there is room on the path I also don’t see a problem.  If you are going slowly and safely and ready to slow down or stop, I would call it responsible and don’t see a problem.  I have also said that it’s normal abroad and I don’t read of carnage in the papers because of it, as well as having been there and seen it for myself.  I have furthermore said that I’d like someone to tell me how painting a line on a path suddenly and miraculously somehow turns the path into a safe place for both pedestrians and cyclists to suddenly occupy the pavement; as opposed to just being carful and responsible on the bike without the miraculous line.  Lastly, it already happens on cycle paths where there are as many, if not more, pedestrians using the same space with no lines etc.  Once again, no problem.

The main argument against it, when I have crossed swords in the past, seems to be to cite one or two exceptional cases where some irresponsible cycling moron has stupidly been going too fast!  But to say that is the exception is putting it mildly.  More importantly, let’s not forget that this should be seen in the light of how many cyclists lives and injuries would be saved if cycling on the pavement was not the big NO-NO people find so offensive.

The main trump card is that it is illegal, or so I thought until recently.  But it appears that a Council can make their own local laws on this matter of common sense.  Please see the picture I took today and notice that not only is it saying cyclist should use the pavement, with no separating line, but it is also a very narrow path for both peds and cyclists.

Now then, I do think there would be an issue if, in somewhere like London, you had a wall of cyclists charging at you.  But that is not responsible cycling and not what I am saying.  If you can keep left on the road then why not safely on a path in harmony with pedestrians?

B

Sponsored Links
Iused to always cycle to and from work along the pavement, as you say, in a safe manner and always ready to stop at the unexpected.

One day a police car pulled up ahead of me and I knew by the way he got out that he was going to pull me up. He had parked his car on the inner lane of a 3 lane dual carriageway, (3 lanes going each way. For those of you who know Liverpool it was Walton Hall Avenue, by the park). So his car, with his blue lights flashing, is effectively blocking one lane. He stops me and asks why I am riding on the pavement when there is a road right there. Suddenly there is a screeching of brakes and a car coming up the inner lane had to swerve around his vehicle, (obviously a blind bat not to have seen it with its flashing lights), in doing so he scraped along the outside and ripped the wing mirror off the police car. I calmly sat there on my bike and said, "There's the reason why I don't ride on that road." He patted my arm, said he didn't blame me and to take care before jumping into his car to chase after the fella. He caught him up about half a mile away when he had to stop at traffic lights. Don't know how it turned out as I had reached my road before the lights. :LOL:

Beautiful thanks Conny. :LOL:

Was worth me posting even if yours is the only reply.

(Do I have to pay you royalties to quote or link to this?) ;)

Tone x

Oh I'm sure it won't be Tone.

There are certain elements who will rip us apart for doing this. ;)

Sponsored Links
I would ride on the path all the time the road is far too dangerous for cyclists
end of.

How many pedestrians have been killed by cylists ?
How many cyclists have been killed by road vehicles ?

Its a no brainer !

I would ride on the path all the time the road is far too dangerous for cyclists
end of.

How many pedestrians have been killed by cylists ?
How many cyclists have been killed by road vehicles ?

Its a no brainer !
Exactly! I'm a seasoned pedestrian and cyclist and feel I can be impartial about this. But there are some, I welcome their take, who think all pavements should be eexclusively for bipeds even if it is to the fatal detriment of a cyclist :confused:

I welcome why they think this way, if they are willing to say here? (Without trolling).

At least Worcs Council have common sense IMHO.

Decades ago, there were few cars on most roads but lots of pedestrians on pavements. It made sense for cyclists to ride on the road.

Now, the roads, especially near me, are overloaded with traffic. Unless you were to cycle on the roads in the small hours, I would say to make use of pavements to protect yourself.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen gasbanni make a post without a link to a tabloid article. ;)

Cycling on the footpath is dangerous for pedestrians.
If there are high fences or hedges near driveways, what if somone walks out of their drive into a bike?
One argument put forward is that as the roads are now unsafe for bikes, then bikes should be allowed on the footpath. So that argument is that to save a cyclist being killed, it is acceptable to put pedestrians lives at risk.
If the roads are unsafe for bikes, get a car, or a bus, or walk.

Pavements are fine for cyclists,,, just as long as they exercise care, keep the speed down and consider pedestrians.. As usual with this argument, it's the few, who spoil it for the rest. Same with the continuing argument about cyclists on the roads. It's the few who get all of them a bad name. I do see cyclists who are hell bent on undertaking cars clearly signalling that they are turning left, or try to overtake cars signalling right.

Thing is, what can anyone do about it? And,,, what's the deal with all this bloody lycra???

Pavements are fine for cyclists,,, just as long as they exercise care, keep the speed down and consider pedestrians.

They are not fine for cyclists and with respect that is a selfish argument. I live between two schools, and in morning and early evening it's dangerous walking on the footpath as the students charge along regardless of any danger to pedestrians.
They don't exercise care, they don't keep the speed down, and they don't consider pedestrians, so where does that leave us??

Many of our roads are no longer fit for purpose.
Many cyclists are idiots.
Many motorists are idiots.

Obliging pedestrians, cyclists and motorists to share the same space is a recipe for disaster.

Segregation is the only answer, but 'we can't afford it' (presumably because we feel the need to send millions to third world countries).

Pavements are fine for cyclists,,, just as long as they exercise care, keep the speed down and consider pedestrians.

They are not fine for cyclists and with respect that is a selfish argument. I live between two schools, and in morning and early evening it's dangerous walking on the footpath as the students charge along regardless of any danger to pedestrians.
They don't exercise care, they don't keep the speed down, and they don't consider pedestrians, so where does that leave us??

Do take the time to read my post properly. You completely ignore the bit about "just as long as they exercise care, keep the speed down and consider pedestrians" in your reply and mention students charging along regardless of pedestrians... Kinda missed the point of my post... ;) ;)

ok my thoughts when you shouldn't be there
do not cycle on the foot path unless you are prepaired to pass people at walking pace "saying "can i pass you "
then you are giving full safety to the pedestrians and asking iff you can pass
it is off course illegal but a good compromise

but you must be subservient as you are are pleading to share where you shouldn't be

it is off course illegal but a good compromise
Thansk Big-All. I agree about the compromise; a trade off. But your first part is not true according to Worcester Council re: The sign in my O/P. The reason, which is perhaps not obvious from that picture, is it’s a fast, narrow and dangerous road and they have used common sense - to their credit! So why is it such a huge leap of faith to say if it's okay to do it there then why not elsewhere and for the very same reason?

My points have also been missed :evil: It's fine to draw a line on a path, and that makes it ok. It's fine to mix the two on a cycle path too etc. And with ever greater numbers of cyclists ending up flattened on busy roads, any accident from a cyclist on a path is more likely than not going to be very minor anyway.

Waits for the exception to be made out to be the norm from someone... :rolleyes:

When I ride on the pavement and see a pretty girl on the path I just get my bell out. They soon move.

Sponsored Links
Back